Respected Contributor

Re: The Maryland Crab In Your Crab Cake is Probably Fake

oh but sunshine, when the fresh stuff comes in, it's so worth the price to me! especially when restaurants are asking upwards of 20$ for "crabcake" platter! If I buy one pound of claw and two pounds of jumbo lump I can get at least 16 delicious filler-free crabcakes.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2015 bmorechick said:

oh but sunshine, when the fresh stuff comes in, it's so worth the price to me! especially when restaurants are asking upwards of 20$ for "crabcake" platter! If I buy one pound of claw and two pounds of jumbo lump I can get at least 16 delicious filler-free crabcakes.

i know.....i usually buy jumbo lump to make crabcakes and can usually get 6 decent sized crabcakes with a little filler. the claws i prefer for crab soup OR to eat on their own (we call them "crab fingers") with a dusting of old bay and a mustard/mayo dipping sauce. one of our favorite restaurants will make us a platter of those to go for appetizers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I recently purchased pink shrimp from Argentina at Publix. Omg, just like the shrimp we grew up eating (from the FL gulf coast). The farm raised shrimp they are selling now has zero taste. And I don't know what's happened to our shrimp from Florida. The Argentina shrimp is a bit richer, almost like lobster. I highly recommend it.
Respected Contributor

Ok, now someone just told me the shrimp from Argentina is called Argentina Red and the pink shrimp are Argentine Pink from the South Atlantic. Googled and looks like people are using them interchangeably so now I'll have to investigate and see exactly what Publix had.