Honored Contributor

Re: The Holidays Are Soon Approaching~~~

@spent2much wrote:

Or... I wonder if you could use coconut oil instead of butter.  I guess it might totally change the taste, though, huh?

There are coconut oil fudge recipes. Here is one I found that looks super easy to make.

The Easiest Coconut Oil Fudge You’ll Ever Make

1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
1/4 cup raw honey
dash of vanilla (optional)

Mix ingredients in a medium glass bowl until smooth. Spread into a small glass container (a 6 x 6 square worked for me) and refrigerate until solid (about an hour). Cut into squares and savor every bite!

Tips for this recipe: This time of year my coconut oil is soft enough to mix straight into the recipe. Come wintertime, however, coconut oil may need to be gently melted first.

Easy variations: You can get creative with this recipe and add shredded coconut, almonds, or walnuts as desired. Have fun with it!

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2010/09/tropical-traditions-coconut-oil-and

Super-Easy-Coconut-Oil-Fudge.jpg

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I live outside Washington, D.C., and we have Kerry Gold butter readily available in grocery stores and at Costco.  Tried it once, didn't like the consistency enough or find enough difference in flavor to keep buying it.  Do buy the Costo butter and freeze it.

Margarine would never be allowed in the home I grew up in , nor in my own home.  Those transfats are a definite no-no, whether for baking purposes or for flavoring food.

I buy the Kerry Gold because it's from grass fed cows, no antibiotics etc. unlike other butter you find in the store. We don't have a Costco. The butter from a local farmer is also from grass fed cows. I cut the Kerry butter into 2 sticks. I put it in my butter boat on the counter.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

I live outside Washington, D.C., and we have Kerry Gold butter readily available in grocery stores and at Costco.  Tried it once, didn't like the consistency enough or find enough difference in flavor to keep buying it.  Do buy the Costo butter and freeze it.

Margarine would never be allowed in the home I grew up in , nor in my own home.  Those transfats are a definite no-no, whether for baking purposes or for flavoring food.

I buy the Kerry Gold because it's from grass fed cows, no antibiotics etc. unlike other butter you find in the store. We don't have a Costco. The butter from a local farmer is also from grass fed cows. I cut the Kerry butter into 2 sticks. I put it in my butter boat on the counter.

I love Kerry Gold butter . . . made the mistake of buying it for the first time from Costco along with their frozen baguettes . . . guess what I had for dinner that day? . . . YUM!

Honored Contributor

I love Kerry Gold butter and use it on toast and popcorn, etc.  I also purchase it at Costco.  I usually keep about one pound of unsalted butter around for cooking - I just buy whatever brand is on sale for that. 

Valued Contributor

Here is my tried and true recipe. I've been known to make 100+ pounds a year it gets requested so much. CARAMELS 2 sticks butter 1 pound light brown sugar 1 can sweetened condensed milk 1 cup light corn syrup 1 tsp Watkins Double Strength Vanilla (yep, that’s one of my secrets) Melt butter in a 2-qt non-stick saucepan.Stir in brown sugar.Add sweetened condensed milk and light corn syrup.Stir (almost constantly – you don’t want the caramel burning to the bottom of the pan – using a silicone spatula makes clean-up easier) over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 246º.(I use Pampered Chef’s digital thermometer and that is my magic temperature.)Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vanilla.Pour caramel into an 8x8, 9x9 or 11x7 pan (have the pan well-buttered or line it with Reynold’s non-stick aluminum foil or even better – use a silicone pan).Let cool for 24 hours, cut caramels and wrap in wax paper.Makes approximately 2 ½ pounds of caramels. VARIATIONS For chocolate caramels, melt 2 squares of unsweetened baker’s chocolate with the butter.And for the chocolate ones, I take the temperature to 244º since the chocolate helps set the caramels. For nut varieties, add one cup of your favorite nuts to the caramel mixture before pouring it into the pan. OTHER EXTRACTS & FLAVORINGS I HAVE TRIED Using approx 2-1/2 tsp (or to taste) of other extracts or flavorings. cherry, root beer, strawberry, rum, apple (I also added apple pie spice) This recipe was posted awhile back by racecar31 ~~Formally YouGoGirl
Valued Contributor

Layer One-- 1 yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup ) 1 stick melted butter - 1 egg - mix and press into a 9x13" pan. Layer Two-- 1lb. 14oz. can Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix (not solid pumpkin) 2 eggs - 2/3 cup milk - Combine and pour over layer one. Layer Three-- 1 cup reserved cake mix - 1/2 cup brown sugar - 1/2 cup flour - 1/2 stick melted butter - 1 tsp, cinnamon. Mix together and sprinkle over layer two. Bake in preheated 350 oven, for 50 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. After cake cools, store in refrigerator. This is one of my favorite recipes made with a cake mix, I make 2 of these Pumpkin Pie Squares for Thanksgiving. ~~Formerly YouGoGirl~~
Valued Contributor

These are so good. Just like the Lofthouse store bought.

Cookies
1 French vanilla cake mix
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Icing
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
4 cups powdered sugar

To make cookies combine ingredients with an electric mixer. The dough will be stiff enough to roll into 1-inch balls. Place balls on a silicone mat or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Flatten balls to about 1/2-inch thick. Bake cookies in a preheated 325 degrees F. oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until somewhat firm in the center. Remove from oven and cool before frosting.

Make icing by combing all ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth. Add food coloring, if desired. Spread on cookies with a spatula and add sprinkles if you like.

When icing has set store cookies in a tightly sealed plastic container (such as LnL). This will give the cookies their cakey texture after several hours.

Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

This was posted awhile back. 

Valued Contributor

Gazpacho Salad

• 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 small package of baby spinach, chopped
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 6 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Prep all of your vegetables and combine them into a large bowl. Drizzle the vinegar and oil over the vegetables and taste for seasoning. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and then serve! This is a yummy salad. 
  2. Thanks Gaby from www.whatsgabycooking.com
Valued Contributor

Cool Lemon & Grapes Chicken Salad INGREDIENTS: 2 cups Barilla Bow-Tie Pasta 1 1/2 cup Lemon Yogurt 1/3 cup Mayonnaise 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice 2 Grilled (cooked) Chicken Breasts cut in strips 1 cup Seedless Red Grapes 1/2 cup sliced Red onions 1/2 cup sliced Celery DIRECTIONS: Cook pasta according to pkg. directions; chill in cold water. Drain. In large bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Mix well. Stir in chicken, pasta, grapes, onions, and celery. Chill for at least 2-hours in the fridge. I got this recipe from the boards, but I don't recall who posted this. It's so good!! I used canned chicken.. ~~Formally YouGoGirl