Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a baker, but I have a question. Why does the first batch of cookies or pancakes never come out as good as the subsequent batches? I suppose it's about the pan being hot enough for pancakes, what is the get around when baking cookies?

Honored Contributor

I think, although you preheat the oven, it has not yet reached the maximum temp you set.  By the time you do the second batch, it's at the proper temperature.  At least that's my theory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: The First Batch

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Honestly, that's never been my experience! I'm 72 and have been baking since my teen years.

Maybe the oven isn't at the right temp for your first batch of cookies.

Honored Contributor

Ovens cycle on and off.  Preheat your oven to maybe 20 degrees cooler than you want and bump the temp when you put the food in.  

That way you will be sure the oven isn't cycling down and is heating up when the food goes in.

Trusted Contributor

Jordan2..... hi.  Here are some tips for you. Hope some may help you  Smiley Happy

If a recipe calls for chilling the cookie dough, don’t skip that step.
If a recipe yields super sticky cookie dough, chill it before rolling and baking.

Use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Coating your baking sheet with nonstick spray or butter creates an overly greasy foundation which leads to excess spread.

Make sure you measure ingredients correctly! Under-measuring the flour means there’s less to absorb all the wet ingrediests in your cookie dough. Spoon and level that flour into a measuring cup. Do not scoop the flour out of the container/bag. Doing so leaves you with excess flour in the cookie dough.

Don’t over-mix the cookie dough. Cream the butter and sugar for only as long as you need to. Whipping too much air into the dough will cause your cookies to collapse as they bake.

Use an oven themometer to make sure the oven temp is correct.

Temperature of ingredients emulsify much easier into batter, which creates a uniform texture. Think of cold, hard butter. It’s impossible to cream cold butter into a soft consistency necessary for cookie dough. Same goes for eggs– they add more volume to the dough when they’re at room temperature. Something to note: room temperature butter is actually cool to the touch, not warm. When you press it, your finger will make a slight indent. To get that perfect consistency and temperature, remove butter from the refrigerator 1 hour prior to beginning.

Always go with your instincts. Cookies are done when the edges are set and lightly browned. The top centers can look slightly underbaked if you want a softer cookie. For a crispier cookie, bake the batch a little longer until the centers appear “set.” But always keep in mind that cookies continue to cook for a couple minutes as they cool on the baking sheet.

If you’re able and time allows it, I recommend baking 1 batch of cookies at a time on the center rack. Why? You get the best possible results when the oven only concentrates on 1 single batch. If you absolutely need to bake more than one batch at a time for an event, holiday baking, etc– rotate the baking sheets from the top rack to bottom rack once halfway through the baking process. Ovens have hot spots!
It helps if you transfer cookies to a cooling rack once cookies are done.

Honored Contributor

@LilBitMissty. Excellent suggestions.  I hope the "beginner" bakers find your recommendations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2       @LilBitMissty    LilBitMissty nailed it.  I agree with all the points she outlined with such care.

Baking properly involves care and patience.  For pancakes I always test that the heat of the pan or griddle is correct by pouring a couple of "silver dollar" size pancakes first.

Having made my share of baking mistakes over the years I've learned to read and re-read the recipe all the way through, check to see if I have all the ingredients and equipment before I start, and then measure out and line everything up before starting.  Makes the process so much more effortless and produces, for me, better results.  

There is one more key rule in my kitchen--do not talk to me or interrupt me when I am baking.   During the cooking of a regular non-baking food project, fine.  When I am baking--NEVER!

Best to you and have fun,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624...... Thanks. Goodness knows I have made some mistakes in baking.  Trial and error go hand in hand.

I do remember growing up with a best friend whos mother had her own bakery. That was a blessing as I learned so much from her. And then theres my mom who was a fantastic cook and baker! I learned so much from her too!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm not much of a baker, but I have a question. Why does the first batch of cookies or pancakes never come out as good as the subsequent batches? I suppose it's about the pan being hot enough for pancakes, what is the get around when baking cookies?

One of those mysteries of life questions.

Honored Contributor

@LilBitMissty   hail.gif

Thank's for not mentioning "do not lick the bowl." peep.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif