Honored Contributor

Re: The Best Carrot Cupcake Recipe Ever (Eat This, Not That)

@KaySD wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I like the look of this recipe with reduced sugar. I just don't like things that are sweet. I'd even like to eliminate the granulated sugar if it wouldn't wreck the recipe--but I'm not enough of a baker to know.

I have a nice bunch of carrots and was ready to run right out to the kitchen to make this, until I noticed it needs canned pineapple. And only 1/2 cup, which would waste the rest of a can. Can't do that!

Those of you who really understand baking: if I eliminated the pineapple, would I need to add extra liquid? Maybe a spoonful of honey? And what about a bit of fresh finely chopped thyme or sage?

What do you think?

@KaySD  - I'm not a baking expert, but I think you would need to add something to substitute the pineapple. 

Maybe you can freeze the leftover pineapple to use for a future batch of cupcakes or another recipe?  

@Chi-town girl @KaySD 

Found this online about freezing canned pineapple 

• To further extend the shelf life of opened canned pineapple, freeze: to freeze canned pineapple, place inside covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
  • How long does canned pineapple last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
  • The freezer time shown is for best quality only - pineapple that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely

I would put it in several smaller baggies in the freezer to be used in other recipes.

Reducing sugar in muffins will change the sweetness, texture & volume. You can use less sugar but won't end up with same results. The Eat This Not That article with recipe says they already reduced the sugar.

Good article about it at King Arthur

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/01/25/how-to-reduce-sugar-in-muffins

I don't think I would add sage or thyme to a carrot muffin but go by the recipe.

Thanks, @Nightowlz 

Okay, got it, I won't reduce the sugar. And of course I won't add herbs with the sugar still in--I was thinking about a more savory muffin.

I'm still looking to replace the canned pineapple with something, though, unless I can get it without added sugar. Geez, what a dope I am--I probably haven't bought canned fruit since about 1985, so I don't even know! Hmm...I wonder if it would work to macerate some chopped fresh pineapple with the sugar and add them together?

@KaySD 

I don't know why you could not use fresh pineapple just blend it until it looks crushed plus keep the juice to put in with sugar from recipe & add to it. I would not reduce the pineapple as it adds moisture & sweetness. Most recipes use a lot more sugar.

I said I don't know why you cannot use fresh other than it has an enzyme in it that breaks down protein. You don't have that problem with canned pineapple. You could leave off the frosting to have less sugar? 

I found a recipe from Epicurious with which uses 2 tsp sugar or less that you might like.

Savoury Herb Muffins

• 2 cups Whole-wheat pastry flour, or unbleached white flour
  • 1 tablespoon Baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped ( or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
  • 1 Tablspoon fresh basil, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Egg white
  • 1 cup Nonfat buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons mildly flavored vegetable oil (I use canola)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1 Tablespoon honey), less if you like.
  • ¼ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Additional oil for muffin pan(s), or cooking spray
    • Note: Use any herbs you like ~ for this batch I used fresh, snipped chives and fresh thyme leaves (increasing the amounts of each.) Minced garlic or shallot are a nice addition, too.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil or spray a 12-hole muffin tin Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, herbal salt substitute, oregano, thyme, and basil in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl combine eggs, egg white, buttermilk, the 2 tablespoons oil, sugar (or honey), and Parmesan. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, stirring briefly, then spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling two thirds full. Bake for 25 minutes (For mini-muffins begin checking at 12 minutes, ovens vary. Mine usually take between 15 and 18 minutes.) Let cool slightly, then remove from tins.
Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl  thank you!  We love carrot cake and I'm always looking for lighter versions of desserts with less sugar.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I like the look of this recipe with reduced sugar. I just don't like things that are sweet. I'd even like to eliminate the granulated sugar if it wouldn't wreck the recipe--but I'm not enough of a baker to know.

I have a nice bunch of carrots and was ready to run right out to the kitchen to make this, until I noticed it needs canned pineapple. And only 1/2 cup, which would waste the rest of a can. Can't do that!

Those of you who really understand baking: if I eliminated the pineapple, would I need to add extra liquid? Maybe a spoonful of honey? And what about a bit of fresh finely chopped thyme or sage?

What do you think?

@KaySD  - I'm not a baking expert, but I think you would need to add something to substitute the pineapple. 

Maybe you can freeze the leftover pineapple to use for a future batch of cupcakes or another recipe?  

@Chi-town girl @KaySD 

Found this online about freezing canned pineapple 

• To further extend the shelf life of opened canned pineapple, freeze: to freeze canned pineapple, place inside covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
  • How long does canned pineapple last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
  • The freezer time shown is for best quality only - pineapple that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely

I would put it in several smaller baggies in the freezer to be used in other recipes.

Reducing sugar in muffins will change the sweetness, texture & volume. You can use less sugar but won't end up with same results. The Eat This Not That article with recipe says they already reduced the sugar.

Good article about it at King Arthur

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/01/25/how-to-reduce-sugar-in-muffins

I don't think I would add sage or thyme to a carrot muffin but go by the recipe.

Thanks, @Nightowlz 

Okay, got it, I won't reduce the sugar. And of course I won't add herbs with the sugar still in--I was thinking about a more savory muffin.

I'm still looking to replace the canned pineapple with something, though, unless I can get it without added sugar. Geez, what a dope I am--I probably haven't bought canned fruit since about 1985, so I don't even know! Hmm...I wonder if it would work to macerate some chopped fresh pineapple with the sugar and add them together?

@KaySD 

I don't know why you could not use fresh pineapple just blend it until it looks crushed plus keep the juice to put in with sugar from recipe & add to it. I would not reduce the pineapple as it adds moisture & sweetness. Most recipes use a lot more sugar.

I said I don't know why you cannot use fresh other than it has an enzyme in it that breaks down protein. You don't have that problem with canned pineapple. You could leave off the frosting to have less sugar? 

I found a recipe from Epicurious with which uses 2 tsp sugar or less that you might like.

Savoury Herb Muffins

• 2 cups Whole-wheat pastry flour, or unbleached white flour
  • 1 tablespoon Baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped ( or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
  • 1 Tablspoon fresh basil, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Egg white
  • 1 cup Nonfat buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons mildly flavored vegetable oil (I use canola)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1 Tablespoon honey), less if you like.
  • ¼ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Additional oil for muffin pan(s), or cooking spray
    • Note: Use any herbs you like ~ for this batch I used fresh, snipped chives and fresh thyme leaves (increasing the amounts of each.) Minced garlic or shallot are a nice addition, too.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil or spray a 12-hole muffin tin Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, herbal salt substitute, oregano, thyme, and basil in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl combine eggs, egg white, buttermilk, the 2 tablespoons oil, sugar (or honey), and Parmesan. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, stirring briefly, then spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling two thirds full. Bake for 25 minutes (For mini-muffins begin checking at 12 minutes, ovens vary. Mine usually take between 15 and 18 minutes.) Let cool slightly, then remove from tins.

@Nightowlz 

Thank you! That was very kind of you to find a savory muffin recipe you can recommend. I'm a good cook, but a rubbish baker, so all help is appreciated.

I'm going to try both recipes--the carrot one with macerated fresh fruit (and maybe a dusting of powdered sugar or swerve instead of frosting), and this herb one, which apparently can do without any sugar at all.

I don't have a medical need to eliminate sugar, I just don't much like sweet things, except for an occasional piece of really dark chocolate or a forkful when sharing at a restaurant. A pint of gelato is a years' supply for me. Still, I sometimes make things for others and love to have recipes for that. 

You are well-named considering the time you posted this messasge!

Thanks again!