Honored Contributor

The Best Carrot Cupcake Recipe Ever (Eat This, Not That)

Going to make this soon!

5013d139e6350779de7bdc6c516536dc.jpg

The carrot is a naturally sweet vegetable. So it makes perfect sense why carrots were frequently used when baking cakes in World War II. Sugar wasn't readily available, yet carrots were easy to grab, so it became a popular recipe baked in England in the 1940s. Since then, carrot cake has transformed quite a bit—and is typically loaded with sugar. As we evaluated how we wanted to make our carrot cupcake recipe, we decided to get back to the basics—to rely on the carrots to make this cupcake naturally sweet.

Although we do add some sugar, maple syrup, and even some crushed pineapple to give it a nice mix of flavors, we didn't use nearly as much as some recipes call for. And guess what? It still tastes absolutely delicious!

For this carrot cupcake recipe, we even lightened up the cream cheese frosting. Typically carrot cake (or carrot cupcakes) are served with a cream cheese frosting that have a buttercream base. Instead, we turned to Greek yogurt with some milkfat in it still to give it that fattiness we desperately love in cream cheese frosting—without completely overdoing it on the fat content. This cream cheese frosting is also naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup.

Even though a typical carrot cupcake recipe will call for walnuts in the cake, you don't have to put them in if you don't like them! However, between the sweet cake and the creamy frosting, the nuttiness of a chopped walnut really does add a nice balance of texture and taste for this carrot cupcake recipe.

These carrot cupcakes are the perfect recipe for fall. Enjoy with a steaming cup of coffee or chai! 

Nutrition: 237 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated), 23 g carbs (1 g fiber, 13 g sugar), 4 g protein. Serves 14

Ingredients

For the cupcakes:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 maple syrup
2 eggs
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, plus extra for topping

For the cream cheese frosting:

8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

How to Make It

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and salt. Set aside.

3. Beat together the oil, sugar, maple syrup, eggs, crushed pineapple, and vanilla extract in a large bowl or a stand mixer.

4. Sprinkle in the dry ingredients. Beat together just until the dry ingredients are fully combined. If there are lumps, that's okay!

5. Fold in the shredded carrot and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.

6. Line two muffin tins with 14 baking cups.

7. Scoop in 3 tablespoons of batter into each baking cup.

8. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

9. As the cupcakes are baking, prep the frosting. Beat together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract for 2 minutes—or until there are no more lumps.

10. Store the frosting in the fridge for the time being while the cupcakes completely cool. If you want to pipe the frosting but don't have a kit, simply fill up a plastic sandwich bag halfway with frosting and seal. Cut a small corner at the bottom of the bag and squeeze the frosting to the edge. Pipe away!

11. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and top with more chopped walnuts, if desired!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Re: The Best Carrot Cupcake Recipe Ever (Eat This, Not That)

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Carrot Cake is my favorite and anytime I can finder a healthier-ish recipe, I give it a try. I will be trying this one soon!!!👍

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a recipe that is not quite as healthy as yours since my husband is not a fan of baked goods made with whole-wheat flour.  This makes 12 cupcakes:

8 tbsp melted butter

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/4 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp cloves

3/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 lb peeled and grated carrots (I grind them in the food processor)

Whisk butter, sugar, brown sugar, and eggs in big bowl.  Mix in everything else.

Divide batter in muffin pan lined with paper liners. 

Bake in 350 degree oven until toothpick comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. 

Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

Cream cheese frosting:

4 tbsp softened butter

1 cup powdered sugar 

4 oz cream cheese cut into quarters and left to soften

3/4 tsp vanilla

Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.  Beat in cream cheese one chunk at a time.  Mix in vanilla until smooth.

Trusted Contributor

I like the look of this recipe with reduced sugar. I just don't like things that are sweet. I'd even like to eliminate the granulated sugar if it wouldn't wreck the recipe--but I'm not enough of a baker to know.

I have a nice bunch of carrots and was ready to run right out to the kitchen to make this, until I noticed it needs canned pineapple. And only 1/2 cup, which would waste the rest of a can. Can't do that!

Those of you who really understand baking: if I eliminated the pineapple, would I need to add extra liquid? Maybe a spoonful of honey? And what about a bit of fresh finely chopped thyme or sage?

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

I like the look of this recipe with reduced sugar. I just don't like things that are sweet. I'd even like to eliminate the granulated sugar if it wouldn't wreck the recipe--but I'm not enough of a baker to know.

I have a nice bunch of carrots and was ready to run right out to the kitchen to make this, until I noticed it needs canned pineapple. And only 1/2 cup, which would waste the rest of a can. Can't do that!

Those of you who really understand baking: if I eliminated the pineapple, would I need to add extra liquid? Maybe a spoonful of honey? And what about a bit of fresh finely chopped thyme or sage?

What do you think?

@KaySD  - I'm not a baking expert, but I think you would need to add something to substitute the pineapple. 

Maybe you can freeze the leftover pineapple to use for a future batch of cupcakes or another recipe?  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl   Thank you for posting this recipe.  I think I'm going to try to make it more WW friendly, so I'll be switching out the sugar for stevia, the oil for applesauce, the maple syrup for some of my sugar free syrups and use fresh pineapple instead of canned.

It may be a total disaster, but hey, it's just a treat for me and to take the rest to work (they will eat anything and not even ask who made it!).

I love anything with carrots, so thanks again for posting this recipe!!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

YUM!!! I could eat one of those right now. LOL!!!

Don't have any wheat flour. Not available around here right now.

I do have some King Arthur all wheat white flour. 

Looks like I have all the other ingredients needed to make them with some all wheat white flour.

That should be good with the organic carrots I just bought.

They are so good on their own. Taste so much better than the non-organic plus last longer in the fridge.

My dad would really like these. He loved his carrot cake or coconut cake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

What do you think?

@KaySD  - I'm not a baking expert, but I think you would need to add something to substitute the pineapple. 

Maybe you can freeze the leftover pineapple to use for a future batch of cupcakes or another recipe?  

@Chi-town girl @KaySD 

Found this online about freezing canned pineapple 

• To further extend the shelf life of opened canned pineapple, freeze: to freeze canned pineapple, place inside covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
  • How long does canned pineapple last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
  • The freezer time shown is for best quality only - pineapple that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely

I would put it in several smaller baggies in the freezer to be used in other recipes.

Reducing sugar in muffins will change the sweetness, texture & volume. You can use less sugar but won't end up with same results. The Eat This Not That article with recipe says they already reduced the sugar.

Good article about it at King Arthur

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/01/25/how-to-reduce-sugar-in-muffins

I don't think I would add sage or thyme to a carrot muffin but go by the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  - excellent info for the leftover pineapple - thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

What do you think?

@Chi-town girl @KaySD 

Found this online about freezing canned pineapple 

• To further extend the shelf life of opened canned pineapple, freeze: to freeze canned pineapple, place inside covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
  • How long does canned pineapple last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
  • The freezer time shown is for best quality only - pineapple that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely

I would put it in several smaller baggies in the freezer to be used in other recipes.

Reducing sugar in muffins will change the sweetness, texture & volume. You can use less sugar but won't end up with same results. The Eat This Not That article with recipe says they already reduced the sugar.

Good article about it at King Arthur

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/01/25/how-to-reduce-sugar-in-muffins

I don't think I would add sage or thyme to a carrot muffin but go by the recipe.

Thanks, @Nightowlz 

Okay, got it, I won't reduce the sugar. And of course I won't add herbs with the sugar still in--I was thinking about a more savory muffin.

I'm still looking to replace the canned pineapple with something, though, unless I can get it without added sugar. Geez, what a dope I am--I probably haven't bought canned fruit since about 1985, so I don't even know! Hmm...I wonder if it would work to macerate some chopped fresh pineapple with the sugar and add them together?