Honored Contributor

Re: The BEST Crock Pot Pork Roast

This is what I'm making for Super Bowl get together. I will start it Saturday night, so it cooks overnight and is good to go on Sunday. 

I'm looking at a variety of possible side dishes. Do you have any particular favorite sides that are good with pulled pork?

With a 7lb pork shoulder, there will be leftovers meals for a couple of days

I need to get a bunch of avocados and I think I will make a slaw. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

I think this will be the Coleslaw that I will make - it's highly rated as a good compliment for pulled pork. Looks super easy to make! Resource: Well Seasoned Studio

coleslaw for pulled pork

This light, crisp coleslaw for pulled pork is crunchy, slightly sweet, but not too creamy. Best enjoyed after at least 1 hour, but holds up well for days! GF, Vegetarian

This is our go to recipe when we want coleslaw for pulled pork, and it’s as good as it gets! Crunchy, tangy, not too creamy, and just a touch sweet! We’re using store-bought coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage to make this quick and easy. Add thinly sliced red onion, then mix with our homemade coleslaw dressing.

Give it a toss, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, though 2 is better! It stays crunchy without being weighed down and heavy from too much mayonnaise. Instead, you’ll find it’s the perfect light bite to top everything from pulled pork and bbq chicken sandwiches, to tacos, Reubens, and more!

Make today, then enjoy at all summer cookouts and gatherings, because this homemade classic coleslaw is not to be missed!

A076186B-62DD-4F12-9A89-5CFE5B88900D.jpeg

Ingredients For Coleslaw

• Bagged chopped cabbage mix (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots)
  • Red onion
  • Mayonnaise
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Granulated sugar
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

If you come from my husband’s family — or many Southern family’s — you likely add celery seed to homemade coleslaw. That’s cool, you do you, but I am pretty anti celery in my coleslaw so I’m leaving it out. If you like it, add ½ tsp to the recipe below. That should be just enough to get that flavor you crave!

How To Make Coleslaw For Pulled Pork

Homemade coleslaw could not be more simple! The thing to note is that it’s best served after sitting for at least 1 hour. This gives the cabbage a chance to sop up the dressing, which is necessary to make the best ever coleslaw for pulled pork!

Place bagged coleslaw mix in a large bowl, then add Â˝ a thinly sliced red onion, Âľ cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and a couple pinches of black pepper. Use tongs to thoroughly toss.

Refrigerate until needed, at least 1 hour. Longer is better!

Other Ways To Enjoy Coleslaw

If you’re not eating coleslaw on a sandwich (not just for pulled pork, totally delicious on a reuben sandwich, rachel, or pulled chicken!) or as a side dish at your next picnic or cookout, here are some other ways to serve it up:

Tips For The Best Coleslaw

• Use store-bought coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage! Honestly, it is just so much easier than chopping fresh cabbage, it’s all pretty uniform in size, and you get a little of everything (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots), without having to buy a ton of each.
  • Refrigerate for at least 1 hour! Yes, we’re a broken record, but coleslaw is best when mixed and then chilled for at least 1 hour. 2 hours is even better! You can make this 1 day in advance if you want to prep ahead!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

I LOVE using the crock pot for slow cooked meats/roasts ! This recipe for pulled pork is easy and DELICIOUS 🤤