Honored Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

I have three:

Canned Soup
Cool Whip
Cake Mix

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe

Thank you soooooo much for the recipe link.  I must try this, as I know my husband will enjoy it as well.

I grew up in the 50s and pretty much everyone was meant to eat what they were served.  Period.  The only thing my mother could cook decently was chicken and dumplings.  You know how great a decent chicken and dumplings is?  Well, my mother made this only once a year!  I would beg and beg her to make it to no avail.  She preferred to toss whatever piece of meat we had on hand into the skillet and fry it.  And, we'd have canned vegetables with it - rarely potatoes and never rice.  the only time we had a roast was when we visited friends and stayed for dinner.  Will never forget the first time I had roast beef.  Oh my!   I got the end with the crunchy bits on it!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@momtochloe

Thank you soooooo much for the recipe link.  I must try this, as I know my husband will enjoy it as well.

I grew up in the 50s and pretty much everyone was meant to eat what they were served.  Period.  The only thing my mother could cook decently was chicken and dumplings.  You know how great a decent chicken and dumplings is?  Well, my mother made this only once a year!  I would beg and beg her to make it to no avail.  She preferred to toss whatever piece of meat we had on hand into the skillet and fry it.  And, we'd have canned vegetables with it - rarely potatoes and never rice.  the only time we had a roast was when we visited friends and stayed for dinner.  Will never forget the first time I had roast beef.  Oh my!   I got the end with the crunchy bits on it!

@sfnative I just turned 60 and my mom was not very interested in sharing her kitchen with anybody so I always feel like I am playing catch up.  The reason I know about spices and other secrets is that I took care of my mom when her health failed so I had full access to her spice arsenal so I could figure a few things out.  I also knew from watching the Food Network that she was not a big fan of spices that are now popular including marjoram so that would never be included in her liver dumpling soup.  This recipe is the closest I could find to what my mom used to make and I so hope you and DH enjoy it as even though it is liver (eeek!) it is delicious!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For me it would be canned soup.I do have 1 recipe that I make that uses canned soup, and it is very good--however I try to find the least awful of the ones out in the market to use. And I don't make this dish very often maybe every couple months. Try to cook/bake most things from scratch.

Respected Contributor

eggplant is flour the goes in egg than frying pan. thats where the mess came from.

Valued Contributor

Celery

Honored Contributor

Beans -- canned or dried -- make me heave🤢

Honored Contributor

canned soup concentrate

For shortening I know I can sub lard or butter so that doesn't stop me. If the recipe says margarine I just use butter.  I sub oils all the time too for recipes that call for other oils. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Venison.  I hate it.  Pretty much any game animal for that matter.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh my goodness!  I'm just watching 'The Kitchen' for this week and  one thing in a recipe is canned peas!    

NO!!  just no.  I love pretty much any veg but canned peas are nasty.  Some canned veg isn't all that bad but canned peas and canned asparagus are just terrible.

I agree that frozen veg is often a good choice.

LOL, @chickenbutt! You hate eggs, & I love them. I also love fresh veggies, but the ONE exception is fresh peas! Yuck, yuck, yuck! I even hate frozen ones because they taste too much like...peas. Haha!

But, I will eat them canned. They're kinda mushy & homey, and don't taste too much like what they are.Smiley LOL

Muddling through...