Respected Contributor

Re: Thaw time for frozen turkey...

I hope. I bought one today so it's in the frig thawing. I'm starting early this year takes forever, but do believe it will be ready by Thanksgiving.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

That MAY be too long to keep in the fridge.  I'm sure there is online help from people who really know those things.

That's a big 'un!  I'd worry more about getting it done!  LOL!!

Yes...

There are usually preparation instructions right on the turkey packaging. 

I know that I don't always think to look on there, you know?

It seems obvious to look there, but for whatever reason, I tend to forget to look! Smiley LOL

The major name-brand turkey websites are always great places to check, in general.

They each have great cooking instructions and thawing and preparation instructions, and recipes and guidelines, too.

I use them even when I'm cooking a store brand turkey/turkey breast.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems you are thawing it out too early to me. Certainly I'm no expert but five days seems plenty. I saw @Nightowlz  found you a definitive answer of six and a quarter days!

Honored Contributor

I am now well OVER one full week and no, he is not thawed yet.

I gave him a good push yesty and he is still frozen inside.  I still have time but never have I been able to thaw any turkey in only 5 days.

I didn't think there was an issue with it being too early.  If it is in the fridge...it should be okay? I hope!

@SahmIam   Good luck!  If he needs a cold bath we will give him one...no soap.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Seems you are thawing it out too early to me. Certainly I'm no expert but five days seems plenty. I saw @Nightowlz  found you a definitive answer of six and a quarter days!

@AuntG 

I thought it sounded like it was too long also. Guess my bird would have still been frozen. LOL!!! I still think 6 days 6 hrs is too long. It will thaw & sit in the refrigerator before cooking.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  I would fill a laundry tub ,or sink  with  cold water and leave it there ..later I would place it in the fridge...Do this until you know it is thawed

Honored Contributor

24 hours plus has passed and it feels no different. I rotated it so the butt is facing the door instead of toward the back of the fridge (which is colder). 

6 and 1/2 days takes me to Monday afternoon; then 3 days till Thanksgiving. If it does thaw out in the time the chart says, I'm still in the acceptable zone of cooking time, lol. If it still feels crunchy cold on Tuesday, it will spend the day in the ice chest taking a bath.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe I heard/understood Katie Lee say on The Kitchen, you should allow 1 day for every 5 pounds of turkey for your turkey to defrost.  I believe this to be fairly correct with our fridge.  

Valued Contributor

My father always bought a fresh turkey, never frozen. Always picked it up the day before Thanksgiving. He always told me to pay a little extra for a fresh one.. It's funny how

you remember things. 

Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 Yeah, I was told the same thing. However, the cost difference is so dramatic that it's not going to happen in my world, lol.