Respected Contributor

Thanks for Taco Soup inspiration

I want to share how much I appreciate reading about good cooking here.  Somewhere in "Recipes" or "Kitchen" I'd recently read about ideas for Taco Soup.  I'd never made it, I checked out "All Recipes" plus comments and compared it to recipes posted somewhere here and came up with my own non-recipe, no measuring, that was such a huge hit.

Mine started with sauteeing chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper, minced garlic, and some hamburger meat seasoned with taco seasoning and ranch dressing dry mix.

Next, a 15+ oz can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can of rinsed kidney beans, a cup or so of frozen corn niblets, a cup or less of salsa, beef broth and halved black olives.  I had a fresh tomato on the counter so I chopped it up and threw it in.

In the serving bowl, I topped it with shredded Mexican style cheese, chopped green onion, crushed corn chips and a dollop of sour cream.

I'd read recipes calling for tomato juice and tomato sauce but I found the can of chopped tomatoes and salsa to be enough "tomato" plus the beef broth gave it a depth of flavor more tomato additions would not have reached.

DH almost never eats seconds -- for this he couldn't resist one of the tastiest soups I've every made and I give the discussions here kudos for the inspiration.

If you post something you made and loved and few comment, never doubt you may inspire someone to try what you did or something similar.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Thanks for Taco Soup inspiration

yum

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Trusted Contributor

I’ve made that minus the black olives and it was delicious.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made this taco soup recipe from Paula Deen several times in the past  Really good.  Makes too much for us to use these days.  Maybe it's identical to yours.

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/taco-soup/

Ingredients

• 1 (1 oz) package ranch salad dressing mix
  • 1 (1 1/4 oz) package taco seasoning mix
  • 1/2 cup (optiona)l sliced green olives
  • 1 small can (optional) drained and sliced black olives
  • 2 (4 1/2 oz) cans diced green chilies
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz) can tomatoes with chilies
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz) can Mexican tomatoes
  • 1 (15 1/4 oz) can drained whole kernel corn
  • 1 (15 1/4 oz) cans pink kidney beans
  • 2 (15 1/4 oz) cans pinto beans
  • 2 cups diced onions
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • jalapeños
  • chopped green onions
  • grated cheese
  • sour cream
  • corn chips

Directions

Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, green onions, tomatoes, chilies, olives and seasonings, and cook on low setting all day (6 to 8 hours) if using a slow cooker, or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a stockpot on the stove. To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese, and jalapeños.