Regular Contributor

Thanks DiamondGirly and MustangLady for the Sammie recipe

I am making this treat for our Easter-Eve Egg Hunt this year. Have decided to do heavy appetizers and am doing the Hawaiian Buns recipe again. Our Grandsons are older now and need more substantial appetizers than several years ago. I aim to please and thought of your recipes from 2013. Use an IPad and cannot reprint them, but a quick search will bring them up searching Hawaiian rolls. I've made them often, but never thanked you before. Long overdue! Cece
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanks DiamondGirly and MustangLady for the Sammie recipe

Hello Cece5231,

I hope you enjoy the sammies; we love them! The only thing that I would advise, after making them several times, is to break the rolls apart and place a piece/slice of ham on each bun. It is difficult to cut them while they are hot otherwise. Isn't Diamondgirly wonderful?! I have one grandson too, and they can be bottomless pits! You are more than welcome for the recipe. Have a Happy Easter! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Valued Contributor

cece - I am happy to re-post them, so others can see what you're making! I'll put a link that has step-by-step photos, too! I'm so happy you're enjoying this recipe!! Thanks for the idea to make them Easter week-end...hmmm...mmm! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

mustang66lady - You are such a gem!! Thank you for your kind words. Also, thank you for your helpful hint(s) for making these! The nonstick foil and cutting them apart ahead are great suggestions!!

It's nice to see you!! I miss some of the people who used to frequent Recipe Swap....I know lives change and priorities change sometimes, though. New people are showing up, but it doesn't seem like as many are posting as before. I need to post some faves!! Take care and be good....I meant have fun! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

http://beyerbeware.net/2011/04/hunk-of-meat-monday-game-time-favorites.html

Hawaiian Sweet Roll Ham Sammies

1 pkg of 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

1 cube (1/2 cup) butter

one onion, minced or grated

3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3 tsp poppy seeds

1/2 lb shaved ham

8 slices Swiss

Melt butter in a small skillet, and add onions. Combine mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds into onions and butter. Simmer for several minutes.

Slice rolls as a group lengthwise and place bottoms in an aluminum foil-lined 13" x 9" pan.

Spread 3/4 of onion mixture on rolls bottoms, followed by the ham and cheese slices.

Top with the roll tops. Spread the remaining onion mixture over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mini Chicken Sandwich on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

1 pkg of 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

1 cube (1/2 cup) butter

one onion, chopped well

1 large tomato, diced (optional)

1/2 lb bacon, cooked and broken in small pieces

1 Tbsp sesame seeds

1/2 lb deli-sliced chicken (or turkey)

8 slices provolone, Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese

Melt butter in hot skillet to brown.

Add chopped onion to butter; continue to brown till the onions begin to caramelize.

Add sesame seeds for added nutty flavor.

Stir in diced tomato, if using.

Slice rolls as a group lengthwise and place bottoms in an aluminum foil-lined 13" x 9" pan. *Nonstick foil per mustang66lady – and cut sandwiches before baking - easier

Layer the sliced chicken over the roll bottoms to cover.

Sprinkle bacon over chicken.

Layer cheese over bacon.

Top the cheese with the roll tops.

Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Bake covered with foil for 20-25 minutes (or until completely heated through) at 350 degrees.

Originator added: They were awesome. Granted, the next time I make them I will add mustard because, well, I missed the mustard. But I love mustard. (3 Tbsp added to onion mixture)

Esteemed Contributor

Hey DiamondGirly! - YOU are the gem-it's in your nic! Thanks for bringing those recipes up. I think I have collected a few more of those types of sandwich recipes but hate to admit, I haven't tried them. I keep trying to think of a way to make a ruben version of them but can't think of a way to keep them from becoming too soggy from the sauerkraut. If you could send some of that Cali sunshine our way, it would be much appreciated! Have a great day, Diamond Girl(y) you sure do shine.....! Can't read your nic and not hear Seals and Croft singing-better them than me! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Hi there, mustang66lady!! You're the sweetest! What a great idea to use make Ruben sandwiches!! Hmm...wonder if the sauerkraut could be dried somehow.

YES, we do have some warmer than usual days for this time of year up here! I'm not ready for summer - but my hubby ALWAYS is! I'm OK with the low/mid-eighties, but HOT and I do not get along well these days. Guess I'm old ha! I'll try to scoop you up some sunshine to send to you! Cool

LOVE Seals & Crofts...and that song!! Haven't heard them in awhile.

Have a great day/week/MONTH! Ohhh...It's April Fool's Day!!! I need to beware!

Thanks, again, for your great suggestions for this recipe!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi DiamondGirly,

You succeeded in sending sunshine our way today-sunny and in the low 70's! Beautiful weather for spring! I'm like your DH-always ready for warm weather because I can always cool off, but getting warmer is a challenge for me. In the St. Louis area, we say if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change! Seems true except for winter and maybe for a couple of weeks in the dead of summer. DH lived in Corona for a bit when we first met and it was beautiful there. Have visited Cali a few times and always find it beautiful. Have visited a couple other areas in Cali in my life but nothing north of Sacramento.

You may be right, maybe if I squeezed the liquid from the sauerkraut before assembling the sandwiches it would work out for the rubens. As I said, I have a few other recipes that I need to try out for these; a Cuban and a buffalo, and maybe a few others that I think we would find good. Maybe someday....!

Have a good evening ( what is left ) and yes, Happy April Fool's Day to everyone and Happy Birthday to my brother!

Regular Contributor

Gone in a heartbeat! Sammie's were totally a hit for those who got to them first. We celebrated yesterday. They disappeared before everything else on the table. I could have/should have made a double batch, and will in the future. Such a hit with the MEN! Thank you for reposting this keeper. On my Easter menu from now on......and other times too. Happy Easter! PS. I made the Pizza Pasta from David's recent show. That was a show stopper too. Guess our family was ready for a break from traditional Easter dinner. I will do a repeat next year. Oh! Had several pork tenderloins sliced for sandwiches too. Easy buffet, and little to clean up!
Esteemed Contributor

Happy Easter to you, too cece5231!

I'm so happy these worked out for your celebration. How did you fix your pork tenderloin? Was there a sauce or glaze that you did special and did you use the Hawaiian rolls for those, too? I will have to look up that pizza pasta. Personally I don't care for pasta (I know-I must have been dropped on my head a birth, right?!) but my family loves it. They always worry if I am ill when I make it because they just assume something is wrong if I make it when they know I don't like it! Would be nice to add another tried and true pasta recipe to surprise them with sometime!

If I ever get around to trying out the other versions of these sammies, I will post them, too. Have a peaceful week!

Regular Contributor

Good Morning, Mustang66lady! I must ask since my husband is a car buff, do you have one? I fixed the tenderloins according to directions on the packages.....all in the same baking dish @ 350 for about 40 minutes. I used s&p generously then marinated for a short time in a ziploc bag - an hour or so with a sweet/sour dressing. Served thinly sliced with a small dish of mayo/curry but grandsons liked it better with BBQ sauce. Did not think about using the Hawaiian rolls for this, but used small rye. Most did not use bread at all. Not many leftovers on this! Using an IPad and cannot post, but pizza pasta recipe with a picture is on David's recipe page under the title: Pasta. I was generous with the ingredients and used a 9x13 dish, and it was gone too. Instead of the chopped ham in the recipe, and because I served the Sammies I used a small pkg of chopped italian prosciutto I had in the fridge from Aldi. Next time I will double the Sammies, but use the same tenderloins and pasta dish. We had 20 for the buffet and few leftovers. I must add, 7 were men and teenage boys, and we already had what I called heavy apps prior to the egg hunt. Could be they hadn't eaten much since late breakfasts!! Thanks again for the Sammie recipe. It made me look good! Have a relaxing day. Cece
Esteemed Contributor

Good morning to you too, cece!

My grandson's favorite school bus attendant is named cece!

No, I do not have a Mustang but I have in the past. My first car was a '66 Stang -used- and I loved it. Would give almost anything to have it back now and is my goal to have another classic Stang before I'm too old to get in and out of one! The tranny blew in my '66 and my DH at that time decided it was too expensive to fix. Then came a long line of ugly cars for me. Do you and your DH own a classic? I would take about any classic but my heart belongs to the '64 1/2-'68 Stang's.

I like your idea of using the prosciutto in the pasta instead of ham-sounds like it would be a little more pizza like. I haven't read the recipe yet, but do you think Canadian bacon would work in place of the ham, too? DH is a Canadian bacon lover on pizza so was thinking it may work in this pasta too.

Thanks for explaining how you served the tenderloins. I can see why they were so popular, especially with all those hungry guys around! Will have to try those, as well.

Have a nice day and week. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}