1/3 c shortening

6.5 T sugar

1 egg

1/2 t vanilla

1 c self rising flour

Mix and scoop out. Bake at 350* for 12 minutes. I used a Silpat mat. 😊 

Makes about 12 cookies. 

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc : Love the tea cakes but haven’t made any in  several years. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc   Tea cakes....I love all cookies...my tea cakes are called Mexican Wedding Cake/cookies.  After baking they are rolled in powdered sugar, left to cool and rolled again.....I only make them at Christmas, 'cause I could eat a lot at one sitting!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Smiley Tonguerecious memories- my mother made them at Christmas. I don’t bake cookies unless a special occasion because like u- can’t stop at one. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

To avoid eating the whole recipe, I portion out the dough, then freeze all but the number of cookies I want to bake right away.  I've found that I can bake four cookies in the toaster oven which is the perfect number for our dessert needs.  When we want more cookies at a later date, I bake a few from the frozen state.

Honored Contributor

I would sprinkle them with cinnamon and vanilla sugar. I would love to eat them if I could

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

To avoid eating the whole recipe, I portion out the dough, then freeze all but the number of cookies I want to bake right away.  I've found that I can bake four cookies in the toaster oven which is the perfect number for our dessert needs.  When we want more cookies at a later date, I bake a few from the frozen state.

@Marsha2003 TOO cleaver Girl!

Image result for first place ribbon image

Honored Contributor
My mother used this recipe all the time, but they had finely chopped pecans in them and a small dollop of chocolate buttercream on top, they were called Calumet nut cookies because the recipe was on the side of the calumet baking powder can.