Honored Contributor

Re: Tara's No-Bake Eclair Cake

I have a similar recipe but instead of canned frosting this is the topping....

3 ozs semi-sweet chocolate chips

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-2 tablespoons milk

Melt chocolate chips and butter; add powdered sugar and vanilla followed by milk to make spreadable consistency.  

Honored Contributor

Tee hee...Tara is putting 'names' to a recipe that has been around for over 30 years!  LOL

The recipe I have calls for the frosting to be more like what you would find on a bakery eclair.

I can't remember since I haven't made this in 10 years...but I know it calls for using  the unsweetened chocolate in the pouches.  You use that to make the frosting and it def, tastes like what you would find on an eclair or cream puff.

I'm with you who say no to canned frosting.  Haven't used it since I got my KA mixer!

I actually prefer whipped cream frosting to buttercream.  Life, Love and Sugar has a great recipe for a very stable whipped cream frosting which lasts til you eat it all up.  Doesn't break down,

Honored Contributor

Anytime I've put frosting on a dessert like that, I've put the container in the microwave for 10 seconds and stirred it. Sometimes it needed a bit more time. Then it spreads much better.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Tee hee...Tara is putting 'names' to a recipe that has been around for over 30 years!  LOL

The recipe I have calls for the frosting to be more like what you would find on a bakery eclair.

I can't remember since I haven't made this in 10 years...but I know it calls for using  the unsweetened chocolate in the pouches.  You use that to make the frosting and it def, tastes like what you would find on an eclair or cream puff.

I'm with you who say no to canned frosting.  Haven't used it since I got my KA mixer!

I actually prefer whipped cream frosting to buttercream.  Life, Love and Sugar has a great recipe for a very stable whipped cream frosting which lasts til you eat it all up.  Doesn't break down,

@RespectLife 

I would love the whipped cream frosting too, buttercream is just too sweet for me (not big on real sweet things).

I'll look for it, thanks for mentioning it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I've been making this for 30 years for a family member's birthday.  It's all he wanted lol.  The frosting is:

3 TBS cocoa

3 tsp oil

2 tsp light corn syrup

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 TBS soft margarine

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

3 TBS milk

It's thin enough to pour over the top and spread.  Easy!

Respected Contributor

Also meant to say if anyone is really going to try this cake, it's best to make it at least two days ahead so the Graham crackers get soft.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I ❤️ Cool Whip!

@Nonametoday 

You gave me a great idea! I have two packages of ladyfingers left over from the tiramisu I made this summer. This would be a perfect way to use them.

@KingstonsMom 

@Soso 

I noticed that, as well. I just went back to her original posting to see if she addressed the discrepancy with the pan size, but there is no mention of it.

@AuntG 

That's a great trick about microwaving the canned frosting.  I learned to do that when my kids were younger, because it made it possible to use a lot less frosting. Perhaps it's an age thing, but DH and I have both lost our appetites for very sweet desserts.  Ganache is so easy to make. He favors the semisweet chocolate and sometimes I use an even darker one.

@VanSleepy 

Make ahead desserts are my favorite kind!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom 

You should be able to search her site easily for it.  If you can't find it, let me know and I will post it next week.

Her Chocolate Whipped Cream frosting is our fav. Really easy and fast, in my KA of course!

She also has flavored ones...bourbon etc.

If you love to bake, her recipes are fantastic!  I can't decorate like she does, but man, every dessert I have tried of hers is fantastic!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife  I remember my friends making this dessert in Home Ec class in high school in the 70's.  I even have a yellowed piece of notebook paper I wrote the recipe on:

1 1/4 cup sugar

6 tbsp cornstarch

3/4 tsp salt

5 cups milk

4 tbsp butter cut into tablespoons

5 tsp vanilla

2 tbsp water

1 1/4 tsp unflavored gelatin

2 3/4 cups cold heavy cream

14 oz graham crackers

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

5 tbsp light corn syrup

Stir sugar, cornstarch, and salt in big saucepan.  Whisk in milk until smooth.  Bring to boil while scraping bottom of pan with rubber spatula.  Keep scraping over medium-low heat until big bubbles appear on surface.  Whisk in butter and vanilla off heat.  Pour in to big bowl and cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Mix water and gelatin in bowl and let sit 5 minutes.  Microwave 30 seconds.  Whip 2 cups cream with electric mixer on medium-low speed until foamy.  Whip on high speed until forming soft peaks.  Whip in gelatin mixture until forming stiff peaks.

Whisk 1/3 whipped cream into pudding.  Gently fold in rest of whipped cream 1 scoop at a time until well-mixed.  Cover bottom of 9x13" baking dish with a layer of graham crackers (break into smaller pieces as necessary).  Top with 1/2 of filling mixture, then cover with another layer of graham crackers.  Repeat layering with rest of filling mixture and final layer of graham crackers.

Microwave chocolate chips, 3/4 cup cream, and corn syrup in bowl until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.  Let cool at room-temperature for 10 minutes.  Spread over top layer of graham crackers and refrigerate overnight.  

Respected Contributor

I've never used canned frosting, either, so I'd simply use a favorite recipe for chocolate frosting. Looks delicious.

What worries you masters you.