Honored Contributor

Re: Take out Chinese food --- what is a good substitute for white rice?

You are right @Honeybit. She asked a simple question, and sometimes got a sermon about healthy eating. Yet OP was gracious when saying they do follow a healthy diet but sometimes want a treat. My suggestion would be to eat a little of the fried rice and go heavy on the veggies.

Honored Contributor

A lot of Asian-based restaurants now serve brown rice

but white rice is just fine. Love the smell of fragrant white rice!

Just be sure it’s steamed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

First of all, I resound what @Honeybit  wrote!   You are most gracious.  

Next, we all have an expiration date.  No matter how well you follow a diet and/or exercise routine, and medicine regime, we all are going to expire.  If your DH is serious about his diet and only wants this exception a couple times a year, go for it.  I would suggest that for his other two meals of the day, he stick to his diet, but would also suggest he enjoy the bejeebers out of his Chinese food! The cardiologist that promoted jogging, James Fixx, died jogging at age 52.  There is nothing we can do to change this.  Life is not all about longevity but it is about moderation and quality in addition to longevity.  The riced cauliflower is a fantastic suggestion and you can find it in the frozen food isle or can make your own.  If your DH prefers rice, make some brown rice at home and eat that instead of the white rice or fried rice.  He could forgo a few carbs at his other two meals of the day for this twice a year treat!  Drink lots of water to help wash out the sodium from his system and enjoy that Chinese!   Wish I could enjoy this with you both!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

First of all, I resound what @Honeybit  wrote!   You are most gracious.  

Next, we all have an expiration date.  No matter how well you follow a diet and/or exercise routine, and medicine regime, we all are going to expire.  If your DH is serious about his diet and only wants this exception a couple times a year, go for it.  I would suggest that for his other two meals of the day, he stick to his diet, but would also suggest he enjoy the bejeebers out of his Chinese food! The cardiologist that promoted jogging, James Fixx, died jogging at age 52.  There is nothing we can do to change this.  Life is not all about longevity but it is about moderation and quality in addition to longevity.  The riced cauliflower is a fantastic suggestion and you can find it in the frozen food isle or can make your own.  If your DH prefers rice, make some brown rice at home and eat that instead of the white rice or fried rice.  He could forgo a few carbs at his other two meals of the day for this twice a year treat!  Drink lots of water to help wash out the sodium from his system and enjoy that Chinese!   Wish I could enjoy this with you both!

@mustang66lady 

Awww - thanks!  So kind!  Yes, all things in moderation, right?  We deserve a little reat occasionally!  He is very good and really tries his best with his diabetic restrictions. Thanks so much and blessings!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I just wanted to compliment you on how graciously you responded to everyone who offered suggestions.  You remind me of some of the lovely, kind people who once posted on Recipe Swap back before the format change.  Kudos, lady!

@Honeybit 

Thank you for your very sweet post --- I sure appreciate it!!!  People are so helpful and I really get good advice and tips here.  Hope you have an awesome day! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

1. @AngelPuppy1Trader Joe’s sells fried rice and cauliflower rice plus a couple of other decent frozen Asian dishes.You can just heat and enjoy.I like that you can read the ingredient list and also see sugar and fat content on the package.