Honored Contributor

🦃 Take Your Turkey Out of the Freezer 🦃

[ Edited ]

840E2B2F-0FF8-45C7-962F-D2321133C955.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🦃 Take Your Turkey Out of the Freezer 🦃

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thanks for this post. This is the first year I will use a frozen turkey, and I have been doing my research as well. It agrees with your post. I got a 22 lb. frozen turkey for "free" from our Shoprite. We are doing our T-Day in Maryland next Saturday (Nov. 26). So, I thought I would put the turkey in the fridge tomorrow (Nov.20). It also has to travel to western MD in a cooler on Thursday. I want to be able to get the giblets out of the turkey on Friday so I can make a basting broth for the fillings. What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Thank you.  I'm not cooking a turkey this year, my job is to bring a side and dessert.  But your post will save some folks who never cooked a turkey before, and are in for a big surprise when they find out how long it takes to actually defrost them SAFELY.  

We've all had that agonizing moment when we think we are in big trouble. 🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

Wow, lucky you, @PA Mom-mom.  I got an 18 lb. Butterball which will be more than enough for us. I took it out this morning and moved it to the fridge. I always like sending care packages home with our guests.  DH and I leave Friday for a weekend away.  All I want is some white turkey, keto stuffing, and homemade cranberry sauce, for a sandwich.  Our family can have everything else.  I have to pick up a few things tomorrow so f I can find a small turkey I'll get one (or two ,if they'll let me) for future dinners this winter and spring. DH likes turkey.  It's OK, but I don't yearn for it. I like all my sides more than the actual meat. 🤷‍♀️

Have a safe trip and a blessed celebration.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I bought a 6.14lb turkey breast that im going to put in the fridge tomorrow and cook in my Instant Pot Thurs ( soooo juicy).

It will thaw for sure. Even if not thawed all the way they have methods in the IP from frozen. I never was successful the othertwo times i thawed 22lb+  turkeys i think i suffer from the menories of the stress of it lol.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I donated my last year's free 22 pounder to the local food bank. They were thrilled and said they have had a lot of turkeys in freezers since last year so not an issue.  Too big of a bird for me to handle.

So I have a 13 pound whole turkey and an 8.5 pound breast defrosting in fridge as of yesterday. I hope it's enough turkey for my family of 8.  I like to season it night before and get it all ready to slide in oven. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bmorechick wrote:

I donated my last year's free 22 pounder to the local food bank. They were thrilled and said they have had a lot of turkeys in freezers since last year so not an issue.  Too big of a bird for me to handle.

So I have a 13 pound whole turkey and an 8.5 pound breast defrosting in fridge as of yesterday. I hope it's enough turkey for my family of 8.  I like to season it night before and get it all ready to slide in oven. 

Sounds like a really smart way to get the equivalent of 21 pounder and controllable for doneness. Smart Smart Smart!

Honored Contributor

I picked up mine today and he's in the fridge!