Respected Contributor

Tagliatelle with Brown Butter, Asparagus, Spring Onions & Prosciutto

[ Edited ]
I just finished a plateful of this.  YUM!!  On a scale of 1-5 Stars, this is a 4☆ recipe, IM(maybe not so Humble)O.  

Tagliatelle with Brown Butter, Asparagus, Spring Onions & Prosciutto
June 10, 2015 | The Chew; Mario Batali

servings: 4

1 pound fresh tagliatelle
1 pound thick asparagus (woody ends trimmed, 1 1/2 inch pieces, cut on a bias)
4 Tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
3 slices thinly sliced Prosciutto (thinly sliced into ribbons)
1 cup spring onions (thinly sliced, white and green parts separated)
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (plus more)

Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Carefully remove 1/2 cup of the cooking water and set aside.

Bring about 5 cups of water to boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Meanwhile, set up an ice bath. Drop the asparagus into the boiling water and cook until tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Use tongs to remove the asparagus and refresh in the ice bath.

In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Let the foam subside and the milk solids toast and brown, about 2 minutes. Then, add the garlic, Prosciutto, and the white ends of the spring onions. Sauté until the spring onions are wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Add the blanched asparagus, lemon juice and zest and toss to coat, season with salt.

Drain the pasta and toss into the pan with the green parts of the spring onions, Pecorino Romano and a 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water. Divide the pasta among 4 plates and serve immediately. Garnish with more freshly grated Pecorino Romano.

Chef's Tip: Substitute pasta with fettuccini or even dried spaghetti.

Mrs. G's Tips:  I saw no reason to have two pots of water boiling.  So I used my deepest (~2")  large skillet to first boil the asparagus, set it into  the ice bath, then added salt to the water and proceeded on to cooking the pasta.
   I substituted ham for the Prosciutto, which is too salty for me. 
   Although I've never used or eaten a truffle in my life, I have and use a truffle slicer to thinly slice garlic cloves.  Works like a charm!  
   Asparagus has a reputation for being difficult to pair with wine.  Mularkey!  I feel that any crisp, clean white wine, i.e., Sauvignon Blanc, non-oaky Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio, goes well.  I wanted to open the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc this evening, but Chardonnay was on hand...

Edited to fix a typo. Woman Embarassed
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tagliatelle with Brown Butter, Asparagus, Spring Onions & Prosciutto

Sounds fancy. Glad you were happy with it. I'm more of a taco salad person.

Respected Contributor

Almost as much as the recipes themselves, I enjoy and learn from your comments and the observations you share at the end of your recipes.  Heart  @IamMrsG   Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@alliswell  I apologize for not responding sooner.  Please do not take it as a gauge to measure my appreciation of your very nice compliment.  Thank you!   --Mrs. G. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.