Respected Contributor

I was intending to make some salmon patties. It is simple to make and I remembered I had a can of salmon in the pantry, plus the few other ingredients. When I went to the pantry, i was out of canned salmon,

What to do? Hate going to the store for one item, Finally I decided to take a chance and use the tuna I had, instead of the salmon, not knowing whether it would work or not.

Yes, it cooked up fine, and would use it again.

Super Contributor

Flatbush what is your recipe.....would love to try and make a tuna pattie.

Super Contributor

Great idea. My mom makes my dad salmon patties almost everyday for lunch. He still works in his office and comes home for lunch everyday; She says his heart is doing better since switching from beef and chicken except for special occasions. 

I don't have her exact recipe but I know she uses a little hot sauce and Bob Mills pancake mix. She cooks them in a light healthy oil. My son even stops by her house for lunch on his break sometimes and eats them. She is very paticular to buy only wild Salmon in the cans as she noted good  frozen salmon is getting more difficult to find.

Tuna would be a good substitute.

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

@RhondaRena wrote:

Great idea. My mom makes my dad salmon patties almost everyday for lunch. He still works in his office and comes home for lunch everyday; She says his heart is doing better since switching from beef and chicken except for special occasions. 

I don't have her exact recipe but I know she uses a little hot sauce and Bob Mills pancake mix. She cooks them in a light healthy oil. My son even stops by her house for lunch on his break sometimes and eats them. She is very paticular to buy only wild Salmon in the cans as she noted good  frozen salmon is getting more difficult to find.

Tuna would be a good substitute.

@RhondaRena  Sounds yummy!!! Does she deliver?  Lol. 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Re: TUNA PATTIES?

[ Edited ]

I have had this for several years....back to Paula Deen's cooking show days on Food Network.

Tuna Burgers

2 (6 oz) cans solid white tuna, drained*

1/2 cup bread crumbs

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1 tablespoon chopped pimento, optional

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil 

Combine tuna, bread crumbs and eggs; stir lightly.  Add onion, celery, pimento (if using), lemon juice, horseradish, garlic and pepper; mix again.  Form mixture into 4 patties.  Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook patties, covered, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the patties  and cook other side for 5 minutes.  Can finish baking in oven (at 350) about 10 minutes if not golden brown.  

* I use one large can of tuna.  I don't usually finish in oven..cook on stovetop and keep warm until ready to serve.  Pretty good!

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

I have had this for several years....back to Paula Dean's cooking show days on Food Network.

Tuna Burgers

2 (6 oz) cans solid white tuna, drained*

1/2 cup bread crumbs

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1 tablespoon chopped pimento, optional

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil 

Combine tuna, bread crumbs and eggs; stir lightly.  Add onion, celery, pimento (if using), lemon juice, horseradish, garlic and pepper; mix again.  Form mixture into 4 patties.  Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook patties, covered, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the patties  and cook other side for 5 minutes.  Can finish baking in oven (at 350) about 10 minutes if not golden brown.  

* I use one large can of tuna.  I don't usually finish in oven..cook on stovetop and keep warm until ready to serve.  Pretty good!

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@doolie wrote:

Flatbush what is your recipe.....would love to try and make a tuna pattie.

@doolie :

I used two cans of tuna ( 5 ounces each) in water that I drained.

Two green onions chopped.Or you can  use  2-3 T of onions chopped.

I egg beaten.

1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain bead crumbs( depending on how the mixture stays together when you shape it.)

Salt and pepper.

Dry mustard about 1T, this is optional.

Mix altogether and shape into a hamburger size ( about 1" or so high). Pat the edges in, all around so they stay together. I make two patties from this mixture.

Put in refrigerator at least one hour.

(This will help keep the patties from separating.)

In frying pan, heat a bit of vegetable oil til very hot.

Place patties in and let brown ( about 3-4 minutes each side).Treat them gently so there is little or no coming apart.Then I drain them on paper towel.

Super Contributor

Thank you Flatbush....so easy to make.  Can't wait to try.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush ....good recipe too....I like the tip about putting patties in refrigerator for awhile to prevent separating.  I will make them ahead next time and do that.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

I was intending to make some salmon patties. It is simple to make and I remembered I had a can of salmon in the pantry, plus the few other ingredients. When I went to the pantry, i was out of canned salmon,

What to do? Hate going to the store for one item, Finally I decided to take a chance and use the tuna I had, instead of the salmon, not knowing whether it would work or not.

Yes, it cooked up fine, and would use it again.

I love tuna burgers, probably better than salmon patties.