Honored Contributor

TJ’s Recipe Contest: Corn & Hatch Chile Cupcakes With Honey Buttercream

TJ's recently had a corn recipe contest. The primary requirement was that all ingredients had to be purchased from TJ's

This is the Grand Prize Winning recipe 🌽

Corn & Hatch Chile Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting

C5632AA2-3390-4622-AD31-598516D57959.jpeg

CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:

• 1 box TJ’s Cornbread Mix

• 1/4 cup TJ's Hatch Valley Salsa

• 1 TJ's Large Egg

• 3/4 cup TJ’s Whole Milk

• 1/2 cup TJ's Canola Oil

• 4 tablespoons TJ's Unsalted Butter, melted

• 2 tablespoons TJ's Organic Cane Sugar

HONEY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup TJ's Unsalted Butter, softened

• 2 3/4 cups TJ’s Organic Powdered Sugar

• 1/4 cup TJ's Honey

• 1/8 teaspoon TJ’s Fine Crystals Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Prepare the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a mixing bowl, add the egg, oil, melted butter, and cane sugar and whisk until smooth. Add milk and Hatch Valley Salsa and stir to combine.

3. Add the entire box of Cornbread Mix and stir until smooth.

4. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full with batter.

5. Bake for 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

6. Prepare the frosting: Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, combine softened butter and sea salt and beat on medium-high for 6-7 minutes, until light & creamy.

7. Reduce speed to medium-low and add honey and powdered sugar, taking care to add powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time and waiting until fully incorporated before adding more. Periodically stop and scrape the bowl to make sure everything is mixing evenly. Mix until frosting is smooth, creamy, and fluffy.

8. If the frosting seems too soft, refrigerate about 10 minutes to firm up, then mix another minute or two.

9. Pipe or spread frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.

10. For the best eating experience, these cupcakes should be enjoyed the day they are made—and enjoy you will!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

Re: TJ’s Recipe Contest: Corn & Hatch Chile Cupcakes With Honey Buttercream

Not sure about this recipe.

I guess you can never say something isn't good until you try it, but ...

I love Hatch chile (they grow it about 45 minutes from me) and I love cornbread ... but I don't think I'd want buttercream frosting on it. Just give me the warm 'cupcake' and some butter and I think I'd be happy.