Honored Contributor

Re: THE FAMOUS Mac and Cheese recipe Sunday

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Wow.  This Mac and Cheese recipe should be renamed  "Heart attack in a dish"

LOL  knew THAT was coming.

Someone posted almost this exact recipe back in 2016 in either Recipe Swap or the Kitchen Forum.  It is NOT new.

It got the same response back then!!!  The Food Police lost their marbles! Ha ha!

I have SO many M & C recipes, my family renamed this one Heart Attack Mac & Cheese (as those on the boards did) to distinguish it from Smokey M & C, Bacon M & C, Stretchy M & C  etc!!!

Clearly, not something you would eat everyday but for special events....WOWZA.

I have made this MANY times (prev. recipe used dif cheeses...EX: SLICED PROVO INSTEAD OF SLICED MOZZ).  It is SO easy and fast.

I have used it for large events especially when making my own roue wasn't an option.

It is delicious, well received and EVERYONE asks for the recipe.  It is NOT greasy tasting.  I use Wegman's Light Alfredo Sauce.

I have never used plastic wrap though.  In fact, I don't cover it either.  Sometimes hit it w/ the broiler for a few secs at the end.

PS    We are all alive and our hearts are healthy.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady , I see them do this a lot on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives on the Food Network and it freaked me out, too, but it always seems to work. I guess it helps to keep the moisture in. It is a rare day that I cook, so I'm thinking I'll never try it,

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catter70  That makes two of us! Plus, I stopped eating pasta about 20 years ago. Mac and cheese doesn't even sound good to me any longer. 

Leave it to David V. to come up with plastic wrap under the foil. LOL 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Can't wait to make this.  I love mac and cheese.  Sure it's rich but worth it!  I won't spend the rest of my life limiting what I like to eat!

Trusted Contributor

This is not a recipe.  It's a shortcut.  Anyone can dump jar sauce and a ton of cheese on pasta and throw it in the oven.

Trusted Contributor

And it's spelled ROUX.

Not "roue".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alarmclock wrote:

And it's spelled ROUX.

Not "roue".

Thank you @alarmclock  for the spelling/typo correction.  I think everyone knows what I meant.

Yes, it is definitely a short cut as I pointed out.  It works well for large crowds when time is short in prepping.

Recipe and kitchen shortcuts seem to be very popular right now, probably why DV did an entire book on it.  Doesn't make it bad, just makes it easier and quicker.

Trusted Contributor

I have all three of his books and I like all of them.  I think I do at least one thing of his per week.  

From looking at this recipe, I don't even think it's a great shortcut.  I like to at least think a new recipe will turn out reasonably good.  It's just cheese with some pasta floating around.  A real macaroni and cheese is saucy, not globby or gluey.  

I would like to try it but I cannot bring myself to make it.

Esteemed Contributor

I love mac and cheese. LOVE IT. But I try to be fairly disciplined and don't indulge in it very often, so when I do, I never worry about counting calories and just enjoy it.

That said, the amount of fat in this recipe is crazy! And I don't know why there are so many different cheeses, especially when you're burying the pasta in storebought alfredo sauce—there's no way you're going to be able to taste them all, which makes this recipe also seem like a waste of time and money.

I hope this dish is as delicious as the Q crew claims, but I just don't buy it and definitely won't be adding it to my recipe repertoire.

*scurries out of the forums, dodging rotten tomatoes*  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Each to their own! 

Unless there is a special event, no one is getting M & C on a regular basis at our house.  Just a couple times a year, so I agree with the posters who said that they aren't going to worry about it.

I am sure the OP and anyone else can make up their own minds whether to try it or not.

While I haven't made this exact version, the one similar I have made is NOT globby OR gluey at all!  Totally creamy.

A great many of the recipes I have collected have 3 or more different cheeses.

One of our favorites is the Masterbuilt Smoker Mac & Cheese.  It uses 4 different cheeses and smoking it develops such a wonderful flavor.  Even better leftover!