Valued Contributor

Sweet potato casserole, recipe please.ty

Its getting cloed to Than ks giving, I was wondering if anyone had a really good sweet potato casserole recipe they would share??

I moved recently and cant find my grandmothers recipe. (sadly) It was very close to the one they make at st clairs!! delicious!! I would love it...and maybe others would like it to!! ty so much! Britt

Respected Contributor

Re: Sweet potato casserole, recipe please.ty

Be prepared for the "difference between sweet potatoes and yam lecture"...lol! At least that's what I mainly got when I asked for a Candied yam recipe and not casserole!Smiley Indifferent

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Regular Contributor

Don't let the name fool you; it's just a fancy title for sweet potato casserole.

Sweet Potato Souffle
6 to 8 Servings

6 small sweet potatoes (about 3 lb.)
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into cubes. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain water and mash the potatoes with an electric mixer. Combine sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients, mixing with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Source:  margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com

Honored Contributor

In a delightful switch from the usual Sweet Pots/Yams with marshmellow topping, I found this to be delicious! 

I have also made this w/ Honey Bourbon instead of Jack (and decreased the amount of sugar).

I copied this from Recipe Swap Oct. of 2015, I believe.  Thank you to the poster!

Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 long strip orange peel
  • 1/3 cup bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1 3 to 4 inch cinnamon stick
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 large sweet potatoes

Preparation

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake at 400° for one hour, until potatoes are soft to the touch.

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly then remove skin from potatoes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

While the potatoes are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.

Slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick into a medium casserole dish. Pour syrup over them and return to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.  

Tip: To make this dish faster, bake potatoes the night before, leave skin on and throw in the refrigerator until ready to use.

You can also leave out the bourbon (gasp!) and use water instead, but the alcohol cooks off anyway and the flavor is delish!

I also add chopped pecans on top when it goes into the oven.

Honored Contributor

This is a previously posted recipe by @adoreqvc (or a very similar version) and was highly recommended by my friend @mtc   I went and bought a bottle of Tequila just so I could make it.

YUMMY!!

Tequila-Lime Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Makes 4 servings

1 pound (about 2 large or 3 medium) sweet potatoes

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon tequila

3 tablespoons honey

Grated lime zest, for garnish (optional)

Peel sweet potatoes and cut each one into 6 or 8 wedges, then thinly slice the wedges. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.

Add sliced sweet potatoes and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until tender and browned, stirring at least once every minute or so.

In a small bowl, combine lime juice, tequila and honey. 

Add to sweet potatoes and toss to coat.

Garnish with lime zest, if desired.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE the savory aspect of this one recipe and make it all year long.  Sweet Pots are already sweet so I love that it has no sugar added and is lower in calories and fat.  I am sorry I don't remember what website I found it on.

Savory Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 lbs. (1 kg) sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), scrubbed, unpeeled, and boiled

1/3 cup (75 mL) of thinly sliced green onions

1/2 tsp. (2 mL) of dried marjoram leaves

Dash of cayenne pepper

1/3 cup (75 mL) of reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup (125 mL) of nonfat sour cream

Directions:

Drain potatoes well; cool slightly. Cut ends from potatoes. Slip off and discard peels. Place potatoes, onions, marjoram, and pepper in large bowl.

Beat on Speed 3 about 10 seconds, or until potatoes are broken up.

Add broth. Beat on Speed 6 about 30 seconds, or until smooth.

Add sour cream. Beat on Speed 3 about 20 seconds, or until blended.

Serve immediately.

Yield:   8 servings (about 1/2 cup [125 mL] per serving).

Per serving: About 166 cal., 4 g protein, 36 g carb, 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

In a delightful switch from the usual Sweet Pots/Yams with marshmellow topping, I found this to be delicious! 

I have also made this w/ Honey Bourbon instead of Jack (and decreased the amount of sugar).

I copied this from Recipe Swap Oct. of 2015, I believe.  Thank you to the poster!

Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 long strip orange peel
  • 1/3 cup bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1 3 to 4 inch cinnamon stick
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 large sweet potatoes

Preparation

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake at 400° for one hour, until potatoes are soft to the touch.

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly then remove skin from potatoes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

While the potatoes are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.

Slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick into a medium casserole dish. Pour syrup over them and return to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.  

Tip: To make this dish faster, bake potatoes the night before, leave skin on and throw in the refrigerator until ready to use.

You can also leave out the bourbon (gasp!) and use water instead, but the alcohol cooks off anyway and the flavor is delish!

I also add chopped pecans on top when it goes into the oven.

These sound really good! I think I will try them for Christmas. Thanks for posting the recipe.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher  I had to laugh at your comment in Msg 2 -- I'm from the South and sho' 'nuf we KNOW they're really sweet potatoes, but we've always called them "Candied Yams" because by the time it takes to say, "Please pass the candied sweet potatoes," somebody else has already emptied the dish!

Super Contributor

@Britbrit13 wrote:

Its getting cloed to Than ks giving, I was wondering if anyone had a really good sweet potato casserole recipe they would share??

I moved recently and cant find my grandmothers recipe. (sadly) It was very close to the one they make at st clairs!! delicious!! I would love it...and maybe others would like it to!! ty so much! Britt

Hi Britbrit13,

This is my grandmas recipe, a long time family favorite and one of my most requested dishes to bring and can I have the recipe requests. I make it all through out the year not just for holidays (warmed up makes a yummy breakfast too).  The topping recipe is also good on pumpkin pie.  

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE DELIGHT

3 Cups cooked mashed Sweet Potatoes (fresh or canned)

1 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs

1/2 Cup Milk

1/4 Cup Butter melted

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Pre-Heat oven to 350 Degrees

In a large bowl, mix above ingredients starting on low speed, until well blended. Pour into a buttered baking dish.  Sprinkle with topping (recipe below). Bake 30 minutes.

TOPPING:

1/4 Cup Butter

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup Self-Rising Flour (or if you do not have any, make your own: combine 1/2 Cup Flour less one Tablespoon, 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder and 1/16 teaspoon salt)

1 Cup Chopped Pecans (lightly toasted)

In a medium bowl, melt butter, stir in brown sugar add the self-rising flour and nuts. Mix ingredients with a fork until crumbly. 

Enjoy and have a happy holiday season.

tkins

Esteemed Contributor

Not fancy, but good:

2 cans (15 oz each) sweet potatoes, drained

1/4 cup white sugar

1 egg, whisked

1/4 cup melted butter (4 Tbsp)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix sugar, whisked egg, melted butter and cinnamon together. Add sweet potatoes and mix together. Place in casserole dish and add topping:

Topping (mix together until crumbly):

22 to 25 crushed Ritz crackers

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup melted butter

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.