1/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)

2 eggs...slightly beaten

1 tsp. dry minced onion

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce...divided in half

2 tablespoons BROWN sugar

2 tablespoons vinegar

1/2 cup WHITE sugar

2 teaspoons mustard

Mix together beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, eggs, onion and HALF of the tomato sauce. Put mixtire in a 9x5x3 loaf pan.

Bake at 350* for 50 minutes. 

In a saucepan, combine rest of the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, white sugar and mustard. Bring to a boil then pour over meat loaf. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

@LilBitMissty 

Hi Lilbit! I think my mind does a happy dance when there is a new post from you.☺ Question:  will any vinegar do in making the sauce?  Thanks for your anticipated reply and I hope you will stick around this forum.  Your recipes will especially be appreciated as we are gearing up for the winter holiday session.

Honored Contributor

I've made meatloaf by a similar recipe for over 20 years.   My family prefers this one over any other recipe I've tried.     

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I've made meatloaf by a similar recipe for over 20 years.   My family prefers this one over any other recipe I've tried.     

@RedTop  How do you keep your meatloaf from falling apart when you cut it? I've been making tons of different recipes for probably thirty years or longer. This recipe is basically what I use although maybe a bit different at times. But...always falls apart.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ,

My only suggestion would be to slightly increase the binder (oats, bread crumbs, cracker crumbs), don't over work the meat when mixing, and let the meatloaf rest after it comes out of the oven, before slicing.   

My routine is to take the meatloaf out of the oven, mash the potatoes, and then bake the bread while the resting process is taking place.   The very last thing I do before we fill plates is slice the meatloaf.   

Respected Contributor

I married into a Jewish family and found the best recipe for sweet and sour meatloaf in a Kosher for Passover cookbook. I've been married for 39 years and I still use it.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop  Thanks, will experiment. 

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

You are keeping us in suspense!🤔  Won't you share your recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatloaf?

Respected Contributor

here you go!

SWEET-AND-SOUR MEATLOAF

2 lbs.            ground beef

1                  medium onion

1 cup            crushed matzos (South Beach change – 1/3 cup Italian           Bread crumbs, 2/3 cup Oatmeal)

¾ tsp.           salt

1/8 tsp.         pepper

½ cup           water

2                  eggs, beaten

1                  11-oz. can tomato-and-mushroom sauce

¼ cup           lemon juice

½ cup           sugar (South Beach change – use 4 packets Equal)

(South Beach change – added mushrooms)

Combine and mix well the meat, onion, matzo crumbs, salt, pepper, water, eggs, and ½ cup of the tomato-and-mushroom sauce.

In a greased baking dish, shape into a loaf.

Combine remaining tomato-and-mushroom sauce, lemon juice, and sugar.  Pour over the meat.

Bake in a moderate oven (350o) for one hour, basting frequently.  Serves 6.

NOTE: For the tomato-and-mushroom sauce this recipe calls for, I use about 1 ½ cups of spaghetti sauce; i.e., Ragu or Prego or the like (this recipe has in mind a special brand of kosher Jewish sauce that’s very hard to find—just use spaghetti sauce and you’ll be ok).  If you don’t want to use crushed up matzos, bread-crumbs are ok as a substitute.  Bon appetite!

Trusted Contributor

vabreeze...hi sweetie. It is always good to "see" you. Hope all is well with you. When I make this I make this, I  use plain ol white vinegar. Hope that helps.  Smiley Happy