Esteemed Contributor

Super low fat but delicious meat loaf recipe

[ Edited ]

My BF has been working out like crazy and has made very low fat a dietary priority for the time being. I went looking for a few recipes using 99% fat free ground turkey and found this one for brown rice meat loaf.

It's actually pretty good. I used two egg whites rather than a whole egg if you really want to drive down the fat calories. No, this will never give you the comfort food factor of a meatloaf made from beef and bread crumbs, but if you are counting fat calories, I recommend it!

I've used this as a filling for baked stuffed peppers and also to stuff kale leaves. Worked great both times.

LINK to recipe if you want to read the reviews.

1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 c. brown rice, cooked
1 egg (or two egg whites)
3/4 c. greek yogurt
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. choppped bell pepper, any color
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil (dried)
1 tsp oregano (dried)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. Combine all ingredients by hand in a large bowl. Place in loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Let sit 10 min. before cutting.

Note: I topped with a few squirts of sugar-free catsup before cooking.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Re: Super low fat but delicious meat loaf recipe

thanks, @gardensla.  i like to substitute ground turkey for ground beef as much as possible.  i will give this a try - as a meatloaf and also for stuffed peppers.

Esteemed Contributor

Mmmmmmmm.....looks good!  Thanks for sharing @gardensla! 😊

Respected Contributor

@gardensla - Thank you for the recipe.  I'm going to make it this week and mix the lean ground beef with ground turkey, and add fresh minced garlic.  I'll top it with small can of tomato sauce with a couple of strips of bacon across the top.  I don't think the bacon will add much fat.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It posted before I even typed anything.

I was going to say that a few strips of bacon won't add much fat.   Bacon and sausage is so lean these days that you can't even get enough to make a cream gravy.    Once in a blue moon I want biscuits and sausage gravy.  I gave up because there isn't enough fat to make the gravy. 

Honored Contributor

@gardensla Yum!...would be great in stuffed peppers or tomatoes too....thanks for sharing!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2

I love what you're doing to amp up this recipe. The bacon is a great idea.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Just looking to flavor up the lean beef and turkey, although I'm sure it tastes great per recipe🍽

Respected Contributor

@gardensla

Thanks for the recipe.  We like ground turkey and eat turkey burgers regularly.  I am going to try this recipe.  I think we will like it.  I'm going to top it with the tomato sauce as

@AKgirl2 suggested. 

I don't know if this would help or hurt this recipe, but when we make a meatloaf with beef instead of adding onion and other seasonings, we use a pack of Liptons beefy onion soup.  Easy and adds a lot of flavor, don't know if it would work for this recipe or not.