Honored Contributor

I was sent this today, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. Alas I can't, but, for all that can enjoy

Berry Bread Pudding

• 6 mounded cups of challah or brioche bread, cubed (preferably a day old)
  • 2 cups fresh mixed berries (plus more for garnish)
  • (blueberries, raspberries, cut strawberries or any combination)
  • ¾ cup sugar (plus more for coating pan)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of allspice
  • pinch of salt
  • Powdered sugar (for garnish)
  • Vanilla ice cream

Butter an 8” x 8” pan and coat with sugar. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium to large mixing bowl, combine eggs, heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Beat for 30 seconds or just enough for a smooth consistency. Set aside for a minute or two, to reduce the air bubbles on the surface.

Add the cubed bread to the custard mixture and gently toss until all pieces are coated. Add the mixed berries and gently fold until evenly distributed throughout mixture. Add mixture to the sugar coated pan.

Bake for 45 minutes or until light golden brown on top and custard is set. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and top with fresh berries, powdered sugar and ice cream.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh boy @cherry  this sounds Amazing!  Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

There was a interesting little story that went with it, and it is in honor of St Thomas More

Valued Contributor

Thanks...LOVE bread pudding!!

Respected Contributor

This sounds great.  I was just thinking about bread pudding recently.  I just don't see all these ingredients fitting in an 8 x 8 pan.  I would use a 9 x 13 or a large ovenproof skillet.

Any fruit works if you don't have enough berries.  Use cherries, peaches, bananas, etc.  Now I am craving some.

Valued Contributor

cherry thanks so much for the Summer Bread Pudding Recipe......looks yummySmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

There is a picture of it ,but I, can't bring it over here. I think an 8 inch pan would work well ,because it is supposed to be a high  mound on your plate

Honored Contributor

https://faithmag.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_full/public/2018-09/berrybreadpudding.jpg?h=2c8efee8&itok=4PnnUzUo

Valued Contributor

Is this recipe on-line with the picture?  I want to copy the website address.  Looks absolutely scrumptious. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Summer Bread Pudding

[ Edited ]

Yes, but it comes from a religious magazine @BaileyBop . I mentioned the article talking about St Thomas More ,to warn people it isn't a secular  magazine