Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions, please, for my annual BTS tea party?

@momtochloe

I think you've read my mind.  I spent a lot of time pondering this last night and decided to make a Caesar salad with grilled shrimp and chicken as add-ins.  The quiche suggestions are wonderful, but since the salad is already quite cheesy, I didn't want to add more cheese to the menu.  I'm making smashed potatoes.  I like to drizzle them with olive oil and Herbs de Provence, then bake them on a baking sheet.  That's it for lunch, I'm keeping it fairly light so we'll have room for all the tea party DESSERTS After all, isn't that what tea parties are about?!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh perfect @house_cat, your menu sounds splendid and a great time will be had by all.  Enjoy my friend! . . . Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@sfnative

Ooops!  It looks like I've offended my fellow Californians! I didn't mean to do that.  I know SF has awesome sourdough, though it's not a favorite of mine.  I want some good 'crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside NY Italian bread' and if it's available here, I haven't found it.  I live in the burbs, just NW of Los Angeles.

@house_cat

Please know that I was not just speaking of sour dough.  My response regarded other items.

I was blessed to grow up  and spend most of my life in San Francisco, as it had neighborhoods teeming with foods from many nations.  Part of that goodness was reflected in the various types of bread we were able to purchase off the shelf in many delis, stores, etc.

And it wasn't just SF.  This included Marin, San Mateo County, Alameda County and Santa Clara County.

NW of LA I get.  Later in life, my Dad and Stepmother lived in the Silver Lake district of LA, but this was a great foodie destination, so they were never without the best and yummiest of any foodstuff you would want.  It's just awful being out in an area where options are few.

Having nothing to do with bread options, but a real eye-opener into my relatives in farm country - Michigan.  There was a death in the family, so I flew back for the funeral.  One of my aunts said that while I was there, they were going to have a luncheon for me and would I please be prepared to make a salad.  So, I decided to bring along the dry ingredients for my "Chinese Chicken Salad" and purchase the chicken there, which was all the rave in Northern California at the time.  Made a huge bowl of this salad and absolutely no one would even taste it, saying, down to a person, "It looks weird."  So they sat there with their uber disgusting macaroni salads made with Miracle Whip, green jello salad with peas and cottage cheese (gag!) and whatever.  I will never cook for that side of my family again.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I agree. I've been to SF and surrounding areas many times. It's very much like NY in regard to diversity of people, food and culture.  There are some good eats in the LA area as well, just a different flavor and vibe.

~ house cat ~