Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions, please, for my annual BTS tea party?

@sabatini

I've seen some "smashed or crushed" potato salad recipes recenty, made with olive oil, rather than mayo.  Perhaps that would work?  I have a lot going on and need to keep it simple.

@bluehost

That sounds a little too labor intensive for me. I may have forgotten to mention that I'm not a very fussy cook.... but if you'd like to come and make it for us, I'll bet my friends would love it!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat, that smashed potato salad sounds yummy!

Muddling through...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Make ahead the day before:  Ham and asparagus or mushroom quiche in little tart shells; pimento cheese sandwiches, tea sized; tea sized turkey sandwiches with cranberry relish or sauce and mayo and a bit of lettuce; brownies; small cookies (bought are fine!).  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

house_cat twice baked potatoes are so simple to make & you can make them ahead of time. It's an easy dish. Not fussy.

If this is too hard,you might as well go to the deli counter & order there.

Honored Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

house_cat twice baked potatoes are so simple to make & you can make them ahead of time. It's an easy dish. Not fussy.

I've made twice-baked potatoes many times.  I love them and it's not too fussy for me, lol, but the little ones sound very time consuming. Also, I don't want to have my oven lit when my guests are here, because it's likely to be a very hot day and even with my central air cranking... it gets hot.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

This spinach quiche is a winner and our young grandsons can't get enough.

No crust!  Reheats like a dream!!!!

Spinach Quiche (Crustless)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Tbsp. Oil

1 lg. onion, chopped

1 pkg chopped, frozen spinach, all water squeezed out

I put in a colander and press with a spoon.

5 eggs

¾ lbs Muenster cheese, grated

Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray pie plate

Heat oil in skillet over med heat

Add onion cook only until clear

Add spinach, cook only until excess moisture is out

Let cool.

Beat eggs in bowl with fork or whisk.

Add cheese,  and salt, pepper to taste

Stir onion, spinach mixture in.

Pour into pie plate

Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly brown.

Serves 6 adults as a side vegetable.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

Wow - so you said no good bread in the entire state of California.  Well, I lived nearly my entire life in San Francisco.  When we wanted great stuff, we either went to a deli and purchased a loaf or loaves; drove to our favorite French/Italian bread bakery; or, I made it myself. 

Where do you live in CA?

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

Ooops!  It looks like I've offended my fellow Californians! I didn't mean to do that.  I know SF has awesome sourdough, though it's not a favorite of mine.  I want some good 'crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside NY Italian bread' and if it's available here, I haven't found it.  I live in the burbs, just NW of Los Angeles.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

Thank you for posting that recipe. DH would love it.  I've saved it for an easy weeknight when I've gone back to work 👍

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@bluehost wrote:

I've made twice-baked potatoes many times.  I love them and it's not too fussy for me, lol, but the little ones sound very time consuming. Also, I don't want to have my oven lit when my guests are here, because it's likely to be a very hot day and even with my central air cranking... it gets hot.

@house_catI make a slightly different version of these potatoes that may work for you.  I buy a bag of small potatoes and boil them until they are almost done/soft.  Drain them and let them cool a bit and then smash them with the bottom of a cup/glass on a sheetpan which can then stay in the fridge until you are ready to go.  When your friends arrive, take out the sheetpan and let it warm up (less time in the oven) and let the potatoes roast/crisp for a bit.  Add whatever toppings you would like mid-way (bacon crumbles, cheese) and then a quick sprinkle of green onions and you have nice, single serving size portions of loaded,customizable potatoes that shouldn't heat up your kitchen too bad as the roasting time is cut down considerably.