Respected Contributor

Does anyone have a stuffed pepper crock pot/slow cooker  recipe that the rice does not have to be pre-cooked?

Looking for a friend who swears this is possible but I can not find online?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stuffed pepper recipe- help

I have done it this was for years. I use an instant rice not the long cooking one. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have not made this (I never heard of making stuffed peppers without precooking the rice), but it is from Taste of Home.  I hope that it tastes good.

4 medium sweet red peppers

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup (4 ounces) shredding pepper jack cheese

3/4 cup salsa

1 small onion, chopped

1/2 cup frozen corn

1/3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice

1 1/4 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp ground cumin

Optional:  sour cream

Directions:

Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds.  In a large bowl, mix beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder, and cumin; spoon into peppers.  Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.

Cook, covered, on low for 3-4 hours or until peppers are tender and the filling is heated through.  If desired, serve with sour cream.  Makes 4 servings.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Found this recipe online at http://www.food.com/recipe/my-own-slow-cooker-stuffed-bell-peppers-203211

My Own Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell PeppersBy Hajar Elizabeth
Photo

Photo by Delicious as it Looks

• Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 7 hrs 20 mins
  • Servings: 6
ABOUT THIS RECIPE

"I began making these about 22 years ago when a friend in nursing school with me used to feed me regularly and everyone loved her stuffed peppers. Prior to that the taste of a cooked green pepper made me RUN! I have, over the years, adapted her recipe into something entirely different though very loveable! You can use red peppers as well though my favorite is green. These are a comfort staple for me and very nutritious. They are wonderful to make and freeze as well. The chili sauce called for is the regular bottled type used often to make cocktail meatballs. I am posting this as my mother asked me for my recipe tonight. So mom, just hang on until it is posted! c./2007"

INGREDIENTS
    • 6 green peppers
    • 1 lb extra lean ground beef, I prefer 90% lean
    • 3/4 cup long grain white rice, raw
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans original stewed tomatoes, chopped
    • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
    • 1/2-3/4 cup chili sauce
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Wash peppers, cut tops off and remove core. Drain and chop stewed tomatoes, reserving liquid.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, 1/2 of the chopped stewed drained tomatoes, salt and pepper.
  3. Stuff peppers with this mixture and sit in the crockpot standing up. Trim bottoms of any especially wonky peppers though they should stand and up packed nicely.
  4. Combine tomato soup, chili sauce, the rest of the chopped tomatoes and reserved stewed tomato liquid. Check the consistency as you may not need all of the reserved tomato liquid.
  5. Pour sauce over peppers.
  6. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until tender. This can take less or more time as crockpots differ wildly.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much!!!

Honored Contributor

I have never precooked rice when making stuffed peppers.  the rice has always up just fine with the rest the ingredients.  I stuff mine with a  ground beef mixture.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to have to try one of these! I always make stuffed peppers in the oven - with cooked rice. After living in Japan, I got used to rinsing my raw rice over and over. Now when a recipe calls for raw rice I still rinse it before I use it. I'll have to be careful and make sure it's completely drained before I add it, or it could affect the sauce and make it too liquidy! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Found this recipe online at http://www.food.com/recipe/my-own-slow-cooker-stuffed-bell-peppers-203211

Photo

ABOUT THIS RECIPE

"I began making these about 22 years ago when a friend in nursing school with me used to feed me regularly and everyone loved her stuffed peppers. Prior to that the taste of a cooked green pepper made me RUN! I have, over the years, adapted her recipe into something entirely different though very loveable! You can use red peppers as well though my favorite is green. These are a comfort staple for me and very nutritious. They are wonderful to make and freeze as well. The chili sauce called for is the regular bottled type used often to make cocktail meatballs. I am posting this as my mother asked me for my recipe tonight. So mom, just hang on until it is posted! c./2007"

INGREDIENTS
    • 6 green peppers
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
  1. Wash peppers, cut tops off and remove core. Drain and chop stewed tomatoes, reserving liquid.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, 1/2 of the chopped stewed drained tomatoes, salt and pepper.
  3. Stuff peppers with this mixture and sit in the crockpot standing up. Trim bottoms of any especially wonky peppers though they should stand and up packed nicely.
  4. Combine tomato soup, chili sauce, the rest of the chopped tomatoes and reserved stewed tomato liquid. Check the consistency as you may not need all of the reserved tomato liquid.
  6. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until tender. This can take less or more time as crockpots differ wildly.

@Nightowlz - Do you cook the ground beef first? Or do you mix it in with the other ingredients when it is uncooked? TIA!

I want to make these tomorrow. If anyone else can help too, I'd appreciate it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This recipe was posted on a QVC forum by Snuggle-Bunny several years ago.  I don't think  she has posted on the forums since the changeover.  I have made this recipe several times and it  is very good.

RECIPE – STUFFED PEPPER SOUP

1.5 lb. lean ground beef (prefer 80% chuck)

1- 28 oz. can tomato sauce

1- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes

fresh tomatoes diced (just a few, if available)

2 c. diced green peppers (or green & red)

1 c. diced onions

2 packets beef bouillon granules

1/2 c. packed brown sugar

1 Tbsp. parsley

½ teas. marjoram

½ teas. oregano

½ teas. basil

2 teas. salt

1 teas. pepper

32 oz. beef broth

1 c. instant rice ---- (added after one hour on high)

Directions:   Brown beef in large pan.  Place in crock pot and add remaining ingredients (except rice). Stir everything together.  Set crock pot on HIGH and cook for one hour.  Add 1 cup rice.   Turn down to LOW and cook for another 2 hours.  Enjoy … it’s delicious.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Photo

ABOUT THIS RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
    • 6 green peppers
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS

@Nightowlz - Do you cook the ground beef first? Or do you mix it in with the other ingredients when it is uncooked? TIA!

I want to make these tomorrow. If anyone else can help too, I'd appreciate it! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom Sorry I found the recipe online. I would say not to cook the beef first since the recipe calls for x-lean ground beef & does not say cooked. The rice was noted to use raw. Hope you figured it out & it turns out good. Let me know if you made it.