Respected Contributor

I make stuffed peppers with meat and rice for my husband.  I've eaten it but to be honest, I just don't care for it.  Mostly the meat.  Does anyone have a vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe?  

Honored Contributor

No I don't but for a little variety I make salmon stuffed peppers.  The redder and more expensive the canned salmon is, the more flavor you will have. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy my sister goes to all the trouble to make these and ONLY eats the stuffing.

Honored Contributor

Just Google Veg stuffed peppers

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Prep Time: 20 minutes

• Cook Time: 1 hour 
    • Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
    • Yield: 8 stuffed peppers 1x
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are inspired by my favorite Mexican dishes! This recipe features roasted bell peppers filled with a flavorful combination of pinto beans, brown rice and fresh veggies, topped with melted cheese (optional). This recipe yields 8 stuffed peppers, enough for 4 main dish servings or 8 sides.

INGREDIENTS
Roasted peppers
  • 4 large red bell peppers, halved from stem to base, seeds and membranes removed
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Fine salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
Filling and topping
  • ½ cup long-grain brown rice (or 1 ½ cups cooked rice)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, to taste
  • 1 pint (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin 
  • 1 can (1 ½ cups) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice 
  • 4 ounces (about 1 cup) grated part-skim mozzarella or cheddar 
  • Optional garnishes: Sliced ripe avocado or guacamole, perhaps a drizzle of cilantro-hemp pestored salsa, sour cream or vegan sour cream 
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. To roast the peppers: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the halved peppers in a large 9 by 13-inch baking dish, or on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the peppers and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Use your hands to rub the oil all over both sides of the peppers, then arrange them with the cut sides facing up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the peppers are a little blistered around the edges and easily pierced through by a fork. Set aside. Leave the oven on for baking the peppers.
  2. In the meantime, cook the rice: Bring a large pot of water to boil. Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh colander until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the boiling water and continue boiling, uncovered, for 30 minutes (reduce the heat as necessary to prevent overflow). Drain off the remaining cooking water and return the rice to the pot. Set aside.
  3. Prepare the filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they’re lightly squishy, another 5 minutes or so.
  4. Add the cilantro, garlic, chili powder and cumin. While stirring, cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds.
  5. Remove the pot from the heat and add the rice, beans, lime juice and about 10 twists of black pepper. Stir to combine, then season with additional salt (I usually add 1/4 teaspoon) and black pepper, to taste.
  6. To stuff the peppers, first pour off any excess juice pooled within the peppers. Then stuff each pepper generously with the rice mixture (if the peppers were truly large, you should have just the right amount of filling—if you have extra, save it to serve as a side dish). Top the peppers with the cheese.
  7. Bake at 425 for 12 to 13 minutes, until the cheese is golden in spots. Serve warm with fresh cilantro leaves on top or any other garnishes of your choice. Leftovers keep well in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 days. I believe they would freeze well for several months, but haven’t tried to be sure.
NOTES

Make it dairy free/vegan: Omit the cheese, and cover the baking dish during its final stint in the oven. I recommend topping the finished peppers with something creamy or saucy, like guacamolecilantro-hemp pesto or vegan sour cream

Prepare in advance: This dish is a bit time consuming, though it’s not difficult. You could make the rice in advance, and/or prep the peppers so they are ready to pop in the oven later. You could even assemble the peppers completely and refrigerate, covered, until you’re ready to bake (they will likely need a few extra minutes in the oven to warm through).

Respected Contributor

I wonder if using a meatless poultry stuffing would work. Either rice or breadcrumb based. Onions, carrots, celery, some kind of chopped nuts? Use vegetable broth to moisten the breadcrumbs or cook the rice.

Or a meatless rice and bean recipe?

Just guessing. I'm not a tofu user.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

How did you make your meat????

Respected Contributor

I'd cook meat in frying pan.  Add cooked rice.  Then stir in tomato sauce to my liking.  Not to wet, not too dry.  Put in pepper and bake.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy I always make mine with ground chicken.  I just cut up some onions, garlic, add some diced tomatoes (undrained) some italian seasoning and cumin.  You can play with this type of recipe with spices you like.  And of course mix with cooked rice.  I also roast my peppers separately as DH prefers to eat it that way.  I buy different kinds of peppers and mix them up.   After the chicken mixture is cooked and warm I add some Fontina cheese to it.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

No recipe, but I often make stuffed peppers with red peppers, as I find they taste less "bitter" to me. I follow a gluten free diet, but you could mix things up by using farro, orzo, or another type of pasta/grain.

I use rice, risotto or quinoa as a grain.  I often put in beans and veggies and mix. Sometimes I do not top them with cheese.  Here are some combinations.

rice + tomato sauce + spinach + ricotta or feta + basil

quinoa + corn + black beans/pinto beans/kidney beans + salsa + chopped red/orange/yellow peppers

wild rice + celery + shredded carrot + onion + bleu cheese

risotto + shredded carrot + shredded zucchini + shredded yellow squash + spinach or kale + lemon juice

rice + garbanzos + spinach + diced tomatoes + balsamic vinegar

Esteemed Contributor

My vegetarian style stuffed  peppers :

blanch the  green peppers in boiling water to soften a little before stuffing.

Then I saute zucchini in olive oil  with  Montreal seasoning by McCormick  or I use  salt , pepper, and Costco  no salt   seasoning with dried garlic/onion ect.

Then I take the saute  julienned zucchini and mix with cooked rice. Then I mix in shredded  Costco Kirkland Parmesan Reggiano  cheese .  Then I bake in the oven & top with some mozzarella cheese.

I'ved also made it middle eastern style with ground lamb ,  fresh garlic,  cumin, cinnamon, coriander , salt,  pepper, paprika   and optional cayenne pepper, Cook the lamb  in a fry pan.  Then mix this with rice and stuff the green peppers . Place in oven Top with yougurt or  mozzarella cheese .