Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

I would not be happy with a stuffed pepper where the meat was precooked before it ever went into the pepper; nothing about that is appetizing.   

I cut my peppers in half, fill with a raw meatloaf mixture that has rice, cover with a tomato sauce mixture that has brown sugar and a splash of vinegar, cover with foil and bake 1 hour at 350.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

I would not be happy with a stuffed pepper where the meat was precooked before it ever went into the pepper; nothing about that is appetizing.   

I cut my peppers in half, fill with a raw meatloaf mixture that has rice, cover with a tomato sauce mixture that has brown sugar and a splash of vinegar, cover with foil and bake 1 hour at 350.   

That is how my MIL makes it.  After watching me cook is my way, that's the way she cooks it now.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'd cook meat in frying pan.  Add cooked rice.  Then stir in tomato sauce to my liking.  Not to wet, not too dry.  Put in pepper and bake.

@ScrapHappy Me too!  A pound of ground beef makes four.  I throw in a little squirt of ketchup too, and I start with sauteed onion finely diced and I chop up the pepper tops and saute them with the onion.

And bake them until peppers are really done!  If I'm short on peppers, I have them vertically, and stuff 'em that way.  Or if I have a lot of filling, I might line the pan with pepper halves and pieces!  

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Here's how I make mine.

I par boil some rice, small amount, cool slightly.   Use about a pound of raw 80/20 ground chuck, salt pepper onion (your choice) , par boiled rice, and a small amount of tomato sauce.

Mix and form into large meatballs enough to fill a pepper.

Make sure you blanch your green peppers and cool before filling.

Please your filled peppers in a casserole and add your sauce, sometimes I use a bottled sauce, sometimes I mix tomato sauce with basil, ohion and italian seasoning,

Cover will foil and bake 350 deg for about 80-90 minutes making sure you don't burn the bottom.

I make a kettle of rice and serve the peppers on top with the sauce.

Respected Contributor

Boy that brings back memories. My mom made these all the time...papryka nadziewana, the polish version with kasha instead of rice. Omg they were so good with a beefy, tomato gravy. Sounds like an upcoming winter meal! 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.

Honored Contributor

One thing I learned years ago is you don't have to parboil your peppers, or roast them either.  Too many extra steps and I'm on to another recipe. If your stuffing won't take prolonged roasting, put water in bottom of pan and cover with foil.