Super Contributor

I must be in the minority. I like my mac and cheese creamy, but NOT stringy.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/16/2014 sciencegeek said:

Sciencegeek you are not alone I too love my Mac and Cheese creamy. I like stovetop. Can we get some recipes for creamy and some recipes without using a roux?

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a big cheese fan but that almost looks too cheesy.

I do like mac and cheese that is kind of burned and crispy on top though. I do see a few crispy bits in that picture. I would definitely go for those places first. Smiley Happy

Is that Tyler in the picture?

Honored Contributor

I love mac & cheese. But ick.....that does not look appealing at all. Plus, it's too labor intensive.

Respected Contributor

This sounds delicious. I love Muenster cheese. I can't wait to try it, thanks.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

It's so true WE all have our own likes. These negative comments are funny? (it's only food)!

I strive to live Life in a most positive way. If you like your Mac & Cheese creamy, then share your recipe please. Why oh why? Stingy, NO comments necessary = why say when it's just wasting air?

As far as I know Tyler Florence does not have a tattoo(s)! Still kinda cute, but I'm married!

LoL

Got a great recipe for No Work Fudge for holiday gifting =maybe I'll post here again?

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/18/2014 NaturalBornWoman said:

It's so true WE all have our own likes. These negative comments are funny? (it's only food)!

I strive to live Life in a most positive way. If you like your Mac & Cheese creamy, then share your recipe please. Why oh why? Stingy, NO comments necessary = why say when it's just wasting air?

As far as I know Tyler Florence does not have a tattoo(s)! Still kinda cute, but I'm married!

LoL

Got a great recipe for No Work Fudge for holiday gifting =maybe I'll post here again?

Please post the No Work Fudge recipe. Sounds great.

I thought the recipe above might be too cheesy for me, but it still looks like a decadent treat for cheese lovers. I love reading all recipes. Thanks for posting.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/18/2014 Katey1261 said:
On 11/16/2014 sciencegeek said:

Sciencegeek you are not alone I too love my Mac and Cheese creamy. I like stovetop. Can we get some recipes for creamy and some recipes without using a roux?

I love the flavor and consistency of this recipe. It is a low-carb recipe, no flour, and this is cauliflower rather than pasta. But, I see no reason why you could not use this sauce with pasta. This is delicious and easy. I also think this can be served without putting it in the oven to bake. I made this in individual casserole dishes and baked it a little to get it a little brown, and also to melt a little additional shredded cheese on the top.

This is a George Stella recipe. I have added my notes in parenthesis.

I did not bake this for long... it is not very browned. I think I was too hungry to wait, lol.

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

6 servings

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon

1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets (6 cups)

Vegetable oil spray (I just used a little olive oil)

1 cup heavy cream (I do not use Ultra-pasteurized)

2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces (I used regular, not low fat)

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I used a little dry mustard)

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole

(I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar, freshly grated) (4 oz cheese = 1 cup grated)

(Do not use pre-shredded cheese)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I left this out)

Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish (I used individual casserole dishes)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray. (I just oiled the dish)

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. (Instead of boiling in water, I steamed the cauliflower for about 10 minutes.)

Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth.

Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.

Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes.

Respected Contributor
Oceantown, this looks wonderful as well, and it seems to be a new twist on cauliflower and cheese. I doubt I would ruin it by using a good cheddar cheese, and I can understand why one should not use shredded cheese in a low carb recipe, but what can you tell me about Tillamook cheese?Thanks, Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

Hi, Poodlepet, thanks for your nice reply!

I am sure any good quality cheddar that you freshly grate would work perfectly. I have read in many recipes that pre-shredded is not recommended, and I would not use it. I think it is coated with something or other, and I don't think it melts as well. It really looks and feels very different than freshly shredded cheese.

I live in the NW and Tillamook medium cheddar is my favorite. I have toured the factory and it is an award winning cheese. It is easily available all around here.

The recipe calls for shredded sharp cheddar, and I am sure the sharp would be delicious too. I just recommend getting a high quality cheese. I have not tried it with sharp, I always have a few blocks of Tillamook medium cheddar on hand, so that is what I have used.

I hope you like this recipe if you try it! It is really pretty easy. I am thinking about making this as a side dish for Thanksgiving.

Take care!