2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
2 garlic cloves, smashed
5 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 pound dry pasta, such as elbow macaroni
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound Muenster, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (or Gouda or jack)
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
Smoked olive oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Instruction:

Preheat the oven to broil and set a large pasta pot of heavily salted water over high heat to come to a boil. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour to make a roux, stirring well so that it cooks evenly and turns golden blond. Whisk in the cream and milk a little bit at a time, so there are no lumps. Add the garlic, along with the whole sprigs of thyme and the bay leaves. Stir to make a béchamel.Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom of the pot from scorching, until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Season the béchamel with salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to the package directions. Drain. Mix the béchamel with the cooked pasta. Immediately add the cheese and mix well, so that the heat and motion melt and stretch the cheese. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs. Broil on a lower rack of the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the chives.

* * * * * * * Folding in the cubed chunks of cheese is the secret here! * * * * * * *

Recipe from Tyler Florence

Super Contributor

Made this for the very first time last night. Added an extra 1/2 cup mozzarella to the muenster + several dashes of hot sauce. It was a big hit with our friends that joined us for burgers on the grill.

Highly recommend - What's your favorite mac & cheese?

Honored Contributor

Good Gracious! Now THAT is MY type of Mac & Cheese! The gooier the better! Thanks!

I just might try this for Christmas dinner to go w/ the ham!!

My fav recipe is from the Dangum Masterbilt Smoker Guy.

It is fantastic right out of the pan...you don't need to bake it or smoke it if you don't want to. His recipe def. can be baked or served immediately if you don't have a smoker.

Honored Contributor

Masterbuilt Smoker Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups (8 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese shredded

1 cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.

2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.

3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.

4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

Trusted Contributor

Looks amazing! Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I make my Mom's mac and cheese. I use Velveeta.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing RespectLife! - know that's a winner combo of cheeses!

Valued Contributor
The Mac & Cheese looks appetizing. The hairy tattooed guy, not so much.
Super Contributor

Tyler Florence - He's kinda cute in a ""little boy"" way & he makes a mean Mac & Cheese!

Respected Contributor
Both of these recipes are "must makes" -they are both phenomenal. Naturalbornwoman, can you tell us about the smoked olive oil? I have never heard of it before and I love trying new things. Thanks, Poodlepet