Super Contributor

Just out of curiosity I decided to see how far I could stretch one chicken, so Friday my husband and I rotiserried a chicken weighing about 3 ½ pounds.  We ate it Friday night, had chicken sandwiches Saturday, had left over chicken Saturday night, and since I still had chicken scraps left, Sunday night I put them in gravy, made biscuits out of Bisquick and spooned the chicken over the biscuits.  The chicken cost me $5.15.  We got 3 dinners out of one chicken so it cost us 86 cents per meal per person.  Plus one lunch.  Best deal ever!  (For the record, I am now sick of chicken. Woman Tongue)

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

That rotisserie chicken is SOOOOOO good, isn't it?  (I guess after a few days, I'd be sick of it, too, but it sure is good!!!)

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I never tire of chicken. Eat it for most dinners.  You can fix it so many different ways and they all have a unique flavor. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Every trip to Costco I bring a rotiesserie chicken home.  Can't beat the price.  

Honored Contributor

We have bought the cooked breast meat that is shrink wrapped in the deli section many times and it is great!  We freeze it in smaller portions after we open it. 

We love pot pies, chicken tacos and taco salads, and it is good cold as a snack type meal with a side of potato salad or even just olives and carrot sticks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Your last sentence had me laughing out loud! I'd be the same way, but mostly because I'm not a fan of leftover chicken in most any form! You did really great with your whole bird. I bought a rotisserie chicken a couple of weeks ago at Sam's, and while it was good - 2 meals of it about did me in! Still, there are some great ways out there to stretch any person's budget!

Honored Contributor

I like to throw 2 or 3 chicken breasts in the slow cooker and dump a large jar of salsa on top. When they are done I shred the meat and I use it for tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, or just over rice. Chicken is so versatile . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 Congratulations on your budget meals! I knew a restaurant owner who did something similar. She cooked chicken everyday for her specials. She boiled the chicken to make broth. Then she used the white meat to make fresh chicken salad, made a casserole (often King Ranch)from the dark meat, and used the broth to make soup (most often tortilla). Nothing went to waste.

I have done that myself when having guests. It does save a lot of prep time and the cost of preparing two or three completely different meals.

Honored Contributor

We keep chicken breasts and whole chickens, GOOD ground beef, and pork tenderloins in the freezer at all times.  And we do pretty much all of the above (and thanks for good ideas too!) with them.  

We have a few beef steaks and roasts for treats, but all the above posts are good to know and use!

Honored Contributor

DD went away to friends this past labor Day weekend--she is dairy intolerant so we don't eat it--use almond milk and the like--anyway-she's gone, I buy a rotisserie chicken, strip it down and make---cheesy, broccoli rice and added the chicken---in an 8x8 pan and that is what I ate from Friday night until Monday a.m. even ate some for breakfast!!! Still have a meal size left---but then i boiled up the carcass and adding a bunch of stuff to it, did save enough meat and now will make DD fave--chicken pot pie--minus all the dairy stuff--so 7 meals for me and 2 more for DD---from one $7.99 roasted chicken----not bad!!!

'