Respected Contributor

Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake.

[ Edited ]

RetRn was looking for strawberry rhubarb recipes so I told her I would type it in this section so if anyone else would be interested. I have made it many times. I have gotten r rave reviews about it. 

Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake.

1  and 1\4 cups chilled butter 

1\4 cup fresh lemon juice

1\3 cup corn starch

2 and 3\4 cup sugar

2 cups strawberries hulled and sliced

3 cups rhubarb cut into 1inch prices. Fresh or frozen. Either

3 and 3\4 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1\2 teaspoon baking soda

Pinch of salt

2eggs

1 and 1\2 cup butter milk. Or add a table spoon of vinegar to milk.

1teaspoon vanilla

Grease from a 9x 12x3 inch baking pan.  Make fruit sauce. Combine lemon juice, corn starch, 1 cup of sugar, strawberries, and rhubarb in a sauce pan. Cook stirring frequently over medium heat until rhubarb is soft and liquid has thinkened. 15 to 20 minutes. And let cool.   Make crumb topping.  add to a bowl 3\4 cup sugar,  3\4 cup flour ,melt 1\4 cup of butter and drizzle over flour mixture. With hands until crumbly. Set aside.   Cake batter. Whisk together 3 cups of flour, and a cup of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in 1 cup of butter into flour mixture.  Food processer works well to do this or a pastry blender. In a separate bowl mix eggs, butter milk and vanilla. Pour into flour mixture stir to combine. I used kitchen aid mixer on low. Spread half cake batter into greased baking pan. Top with half the fruit. Drop it by teaspoon. Add remaining cake batter and add rest of the fruit. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake cake until golden brown  and cake springs back when touched. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Put pan on rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.        

Yes its alot of work and alot of dirty dishes but the taste is worth it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake.

@Pooky1   Thank you for posting this.   I will be making it and I am sure @RetRN will also appreciate it.  

Strawberries and rhubarb are such a delightfully classic combination.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Respected Contributor

We got a rhubarb plant given to us when I was buying some in the market. This is the second year for it so its usable. I had read not to use it the first year.  I grows so fast. I have gotten like 25 stalks of rhubarb 3 times already. We just bought a food saver so it came in handy for all that rhubarb. I cleaned and cut up 2 more bags plus the big bag I had in the freezer.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Pooky1 for posting this recipe.  I look forward to making it... I suspectt it'll be delicious!!  It doesn't seem like a lot of work to prepare or dishes dirtied.  I'm thinking the fruit sauce could be made ahead of time as well as the crumb topping.  Could probably combine the crumb topping with the pastry blender in a gallon-size Ziploc bag and refrigerate (save dirtying a bowl).  Then mix the cake batter the next day and put it all together.  

Almost forgot I have a question for you.  Can frozen strawberries also be used as you have stated for the rhubarb?  Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

Vabreeze. You can use frozen strawberries. And I have made the fruit the day before. Just take it out and let it sit awhile so its not so stiff. Crumb topping comes together in like 30 seconds. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @Pooky1 .