Trusted Contributor

Re: Strawberry Sour Cream Cake

On 4/12/2014 Sammijo said:

Lola, I'm a new poster to the recipe board, but this beautiful recipe caught my eye. I'm going to an adult birthday celebration this evening and just took this out of the oven and it looks fabulous. The batter goes together quickly and may I say when licking the spatula, the flavor is to die for! Even DH (who gets all the bowls to clean out!) said it was a very yummy batter - and this from a man who who only has use for chocolate cake. The lemon is subtle but still there and just enough. I can't wait to taste this!

I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree that has just given me several beautiful specimens which were used for this cake.

I have a feeling this recipe will be used again and again! Thank you so much for sharing.

OMG, this was so incredibly good! It fit in perfectly with the hostess's BBQ ribs, potato salad, baked beans and salad menu. I think I may try blueberries and lime next. So dang tasty!

Trusted Contributor

On 4/13/2014 LoLa said:

Hi Sammijo! You are so very welcome. It's great nice to meet you. I'm so happy that you're making this cake. I think it's just delicious. My husband has designated 'bowl licking' duty too (if the kids don't beat him to it!)LoL

I'm soooo jealous of your Meyer lemon tree. How wonderful that must be to have around. I hope that this cake turned out lovely for you and your friends and that it becomes a favorite as it has my family. Thanks, again for letting me know.

Hi CLEM! Hope those cupcakes turn out divine!

Have a great Sunday,

LoLa

I was in such a hurry, I quoted my own post instead of this one! DUH! Anyway, thanks again, Lola!

No one is more surprised than me that this little tree is still going strong. And it has just started flowering again! Since I live in upstate NY, this citrus tree keeps me happy all winter watching the fruit ripen. I highly recommend getting one if you have the room.

Honored Contributor

I bought all the fixins this AM, even a new bundt pan.

Valued Contributor

skuggles.... Hi! You're so welcome! That is awesome. I'm thrilled that you loved it!

sammijo.... Hi! YaY! That's wonderful. I'm so happy that everyone loved it! Trust me, I'll be looking for one of those beautiful meyer lemon trees soon.

lulu2... Hi! I'm excited for you! I know it'll come out beautifully for sure. Please let me know.

Have a great Monday ladies,

LoLa

Honored Contributor

I am giving this a try tomorrow. Just got all the ingredients plus some gourmet strawberry and ricotta ice cream to go with!

Frequent Contributor

This looks wonderful, LoLa. You post the best recipes! (I've tried a few.) I love that you always give credit to the recipe source as well and include pics.

One question: I have a decorative bundt pan that is a favorite, but it only holds 9 cups of batter as opposed to the usual 10 or 11. I'm always on the lookout, therefore, for lower volume cake recipes I can use in that pan. By the height of the slice in the photo, this cake looks like it might have less volume that some recipes. If you made this in a standard bundt pan, do you think it filled less of the pan than other cake recipes you've used? TIA

Super Contributor

*drooling all over my laptop*

Thank you for posting the recipe. Looks and sounds heavenly.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Irish Rosebud said:

This looks wonderful, LoLa. You post the best recipes! (I've tried a few.) I love that you always give credit to the recipe source as well and include pics.

One question: I have a decorative bundt pan that is a favorite, but it only holds 9 cups of batter as opposed to the usual 10 or 11. I'm always on the lookout, therefore, for lower volume cake recipes I can use in that pan. By the height of the slice in the photo, this cake looks like it might have less volume that some recipes. If you made this in a standard bundt pan, do you think it filled less of the pan than other cake recipes you've used? TIA

Irish: My full size bundt pan had about 1/3 left unfilled after batter was poured in. I don't know how many cups it made as I didn't measure the batter, but I think you should be ok. I have other bundt recipes that fill it to the top and they call for more flour, an additional egg, etc.

Frequent Contributor

Sammijo, thank you so very much! That's a perfect description that will help me. Your point about the egg and flour, along with the picture, is exactly what make me think this might be a lower volume batter. Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

DiAnne.... Sounds great and so does that ice cream you mentioned!

Irish Rosebud.... Hi! Thank you so much for your kind words. I really think it's important to always note the source because they deserve the credit. I'm just happy to be able to stumble across these gems. I just wish they all were all this good because I've hit some less than tasty ones for sure. lol But, it's all about trial and error. I agree with Sammijo, you should be fine with this the volume of this recipe. My regular-sized bundt pan had plenty of room left for more batter. Please let me know how everything turns out.

littleblueparakeet..... Ha! It IS yummy!

Happy Tuesday,

LoLa