Honored Contributor

Re: Strawberry Pretzel Salad 🍓

@Chi-town girl ---I got told to not  use fresh strawberries for this recipe--it does not turn out as it should--you need the frozen ones. Got this advice from a friend who makes this ALL the time and hers is absolutely prefection. Can't tell you why altho I suspect its because fresh berries tend to weep. Maybe fresh berries for the decor. I will attempt to make this following her recipe. I may add a touch of unflavored geletin to the filling-- but this salad is beautiful and so good. Oh and my friend uses frz raspberries instead of strawberries.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't made this in years.  I recently went to a tea house with some friends and this was an option as a side so I ordered it.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Chi-town girl ---I got told to not  use fresh strawberries for this recipe--it does not turn out as it should--you need the frozen ones. Got this advice from a friend who makes this ALL the time and hers is absolutely prefection. Can't tell you why altho I suspect its because fresh berries tend to weep. Maybe fresh berries for the decor. I will attempt to make this following her recipe. I may add a touch of unflavored geletin to the filling-- but this salad is beautiful and so good. Oh and my friend uses frz raspberries instead of strawberries.

@wagirl  - thank you. I could just freeze freshly purchased strawberries which will most likely be better quality than buying frozen strawberries from the supermarket.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the reminder!  I haven't had that in years... such a good summer dessert!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN --so I was told not to----so it must turn out fine--the filling thickens up as it should?

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl ---so I just read RetRN, that she uses fresh berries---so maybe I don't have a clue about this---let's see what she says----geez, like this is an earth shattering thing---apparently it is to meWoman Embarassed am planning to make this for a bbq at the end of the month----hate making a new recipe  the day before and it turns out horrible!!!

Honored Contributor

Mine turned out fine, but it sounds like from other posters that frozen work best. I'll use frozen next time I make it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love making this dessert, and have been making it for years. But this year, I messed it up royally! I normally let the strawberry jello sit on the counter for about 20 to 30 minutes before I add it on top of the cream cheese layer. I made this for the 4th of July (just for the 2 of us) and wasn't thinking, I guess. I put the jello in the refrigerator and forgot about it for 2 hours. Not only was it jelled, but I didn't have another box in the pantry. So, I scooped out chunks of the jello and sort of spread it on top of the cream cheese layer and frozen strawberries. The strawberries never did soften much and the jello just didn't work at all. OK - lesson learned! Haha!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Mine turned out fine, but it sounds like from other posters that frozen work best. I'll use frozen next time I make it. 

@RetRN - I'm going to freeze my own freshly purchased strawberries since they are in season now and delicious. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

This is one of my husband's favorite desserts. It takes some time to make, but the finished product is yummy. 🍓🥨🥗