Honored Contributor

Re: Still on the crazy cake binge—-

@wagirl 

Sorry, I missed the previous thread where @x Hedge posted a recipe and at the time I posted above, this thread had no links to the recipe or the previous thread.

I was just so curious about why it's called 'wacky' cake, LOL!

I love recipes with intriguing names!

One of my favorites is an old recipe for a coconut cake that you make 3 days in advance of eating and it's called 'Rotten Cake', too funny, but it's delicious!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom---can be called a wacky cake or crazy cake. It was a depression era recipe as it used no dairy or eggs, just the baking soda and vinegar to help it rise. My gram called it a wacky cake. It is my go to for a chocolate cake. It is very moist and flavorful. Also can be mixed up in the same baking dish it is cooked in--the ingredients in Hedges post are the exact ones in my recipe only I use 1T vinegar instead of a tsp as per my gram.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

Since I love older recipes and DH loves chocolate cake and snickerdoodle cookies, I'll definitely be trying both of those!

Your "moist and flavorful" description reeled me in!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom---let me know how yours turns out. will be trying a carrot cake version as well as a lemon and even a white cake flavor------my go to white cake recipe does use eggs and milk and butter,  but would love to see if this wacky kind works out. One thing I do, is sift the dry ingredients before mixing with the wet--not a fan of clumps in a cake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl 

On my! There's a carrot cake version too?!

We love carrot cake, so I'll have look for that one too!

Thanks for letting me know!