Respected Contributor

How do you cook yours? I put it in the oven 20 minutes at 500 then 12 minutes a pound turning oven down to 325.  That's for medium ..

Anyone else?

Honored Contributor

@meem120 you may want to take a look at a thread that was started in the Kitchen forum that I believe asks the same question (I don't want to say for sure as I get a tad confused when speaking to specific cuts of beef):

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/Need-some-help-with-a-prime-rib/m-p/3367592#U3367592

Honored Contributor

Re: Standing Rib Roast

[ Edited ]

Preheat oven to 550F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.

Roast at 550 at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.

Works the same with other cuts of beef roasts. Try it you won't be disappointed.

Respected Contributor

@meem120

I do mine the same way that you do. 

Trusted Contributor

Have used this ideal raoasting method several times. Never fales1!!!!

Honored Contributor

I did it the same way and had a lovely roast.  The problem was, everyone wanted the end piece with the browning,  The next year we changed to ribeye steaks.  Everyone got what they wanted!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've made standing rib every year for years for Christmas. I thought I'd break up the monotony and make a ham this year. There's absolutely nothing special to do with the standing rib. I usually score the fat on top beforehand, throw it in the oven and cook away! And yes everyone fights for an end, they are the best! I prefer the pure delicious taste of this superb cut of meat. I surely don't want to add any spices (salt! yuk) or rubs. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

To a large extent it depends on how you want it to come out. If you prefer your meat more well done and cooked evenly all the way through then a lower/slower cooking method is ideal.  I've seen people cook thick steaks and roasts in an oven as low as 175-200 degrees until they get the desired inner temperature then sear the outside in a hot pan for a minute or two on each side to create the outer crust. When you start out with a very hot oven the outer layers wil get more heat than the inner parts and tend to cook quickly while the inside will be slower to cook. This is handy if you have guests who like their meat cooked differently as the ends will be well done while the inner portions will be more medium rare to rare. If you want the whole roast cooked evenly then a lower/slower cooking method is generally a better choice. 

I always get nervous about the directions to heat the oven up and then turn it off and leave the food in it for hours using the residual heat to cook the food. I had an old oven that in thirty minutes time would pretty much be down to room temperature even with the door closed. It was an insanely poorly insulated oven. My current oven I can bake with it in the morning and by evening it will still have retained some heat. I'm sure that method works fine for some people, but given the vastly different ovens out there, it would worry me as a recommended way to cook something.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Preheat oven to 550F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.

Roast at 550 at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.

Works the same with other cuts of beef roasts. Try it you won't be disappointed.

Just wanted to let you know that I just tried doing my rib roast following your directions.  I must admit I was a little leary about doing this way BUT, it was the best prime rib I've ever cooked and believe me I've cooked a lot of them!!

Thanks Again!!!