Occasional Contributor

Stacey's Potato Salad Recipe

Stacey did not post her potato salad recipe, just the jack fruit sandwich. I re-watched the presentation, but she did not give the amounts for the celery, onion, relish or mustard. I don't want to add too much or too little. Any ideas on amounts for those ingredients.

Respected Contributor

Re: Stacey's Potato Salad Recipe

[ Edited ]

@UKgram: IMO, potato salad ingredients depend upon individual taste, for the most part. I don't think there is a right or wrong as to how much of any ingredient. Add as much or as little of an ingredient to suit your taste. For example: if you (really) like relish, add as much as you wish. Mustard? same thing. On the other hand, if you don't like celery or onions, you don't have to add them. Some people use boiled eggs in their salad, others don't. Google potato salad recipes, I bet you'll get a gazillion different recipes. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I think the key to good potato salad is cutting the celery, onions and pickles in small cubes. You get everything in every bite.I get alot of requests for my recipe, this is the key. I use gerkins or midget pickles. Relish doesn't make the same crunch.

Honored Contributor

I think the key to potato salad is the dressing. Veggies vary everytime we make it, add in/ take out, try new ones.

The dressing is the oomph, the taste, the flavor we each make. Add n whatever spices we choose to use  - which also can change, however we make it, it totally makes it our own. 

I know for me, many of my friends request it because they all love it and try to mimic it but I've never tasted any of their's that tastes like mine.

Respected Contributor

For every person you ask, they will have different recommendations for potato salad.  Try to remember where you had a good potato salad and recreate that taste.

I personally don't like mustard or relish in mine.  And I make mine with potatoes sliced about 1/4 inch thick.  I detest large hunks of potatoes in the salad.

Honored Contributor

@UKgram   I'm like you - when making something, I like to have measurements for all ingredients, especially the first time.  Subsequently, I might adjust them, more or less to my taste.  But for the first time, I want to make it by the book.  Otherwise, who knows how it'll turn out.

Honored Contributor

It's all subject to your personal taste. I add small amounts at first and taste. Then I can add more as I go along.
Honored Contributor

I rough chop whole sweet pickles, although you may prefer dill. 

The flavor of relish gets lost because the pieces are so small and relish adds a lot of liquid too.

I always get assigned to potato salad duty.

Honored Contributor

Suggesting to a novice cook that you enter ingredients "to taste" is like asking someone to take a pile of car parts and create a car.  How discouraging.   

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@UKgram   Stacey has posted her Potato Salad recipe on her IG account if you are still interested.