Honored Contributor

St Lukes Little Summer Salad

The short period of pleasant summer-like days that arrive before the coming of winter around St. Luke’s feast day (October 18) is known as “St. Luke’s Little Summer.” Many of us think of that period as an Indian summer, but according to the Old Farmers’ Almanac, an Indian summer occurs between November 11 and 20.

St. Luke’s Little Summer Salad

Ingredients

8-10  cups mixed greens
          Red onion (thinly sliced)
    2    medium crisp apples (1 sweet and 1 tart)
    ½   cup gorgonzola cheese
    ¼   cup dried cranberries
    ½   cup chopped pecan halves
    1    tablespoon butter
    ¼   cup brown sugar
    ½   teaspoon cinnamon

Dressing

½   cup extra virgin olive oil
    3-4  tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    3    tablespoons pure maple syrup
          Salt and pepper to taste

For the candied pecans, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Toss in the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir to combine and coat until sugar begins to caramelize (3-4 minutes). Spread candied pecans on a wax paper or parchment lined baking sheet to cool.

Combine the ingredients for the dressing and place in fridge until ready to use. 
In a large bowl toss greens, red onions, apples, gorgonzola cheese, cranberries and candied pecans. Toss with dressing when ready to serve.

Honored Contributor

Re: St Lukes Little Summer Salad

Sounds. really good @cherry .  Thanks for posting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You could always add some shredded chicken, or shirmp, if you wanted to make a heartier dish

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Well that looks like a great Thanksgiving salad right there! My sister-in-law always stuns with her beautiful salads; so, now I will have one too! Thanks! BTW, in my family, we usually say Indian Summer is a spell of warm weather after we have had a killing frost. That may be a PA Dutch thing... or not.

Honored Contributor

I have heard that too @PA Mom-mom ..I think this salad is  name for St Luke and the time around his feast day known as St Luke's Little Summer

Interesting the Almanac sees it differently..Some crumbled bacon would also be nice in this salad

Honored Contributor

@cherry that looks like a very special salad recipe that I need to try...thanks