Super Contributor

St. Louis Pevely Dairy Cottage Cheese Pie

This is actually more of a summertime recipe nicely accented with blueberries or peaches, but I was doing some editing in my recipe files and came across this, so decided to share it while it's on my mind. I hope this brings back good memories for some of you.

St. Louis Pevely Dairy Cottage Cheese Pie

Crust:
5 T unsalted butter
1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs from 9 or 10 full-size crackers
2 T sugar
1/8 t table salt

Filling:
3 large eggs
1/4 c sugar
2 c Pevely 1% cottage cheese
1 t vanilla

Freshly ground nutmeg
Fresh blueberries, or peaches

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave in 10-second increments. In a bowl, stir together remaining crust ingredients, then butter. Press into a shallow pie pan with back of a tablespoon, sides first, then center. (If there’s too much, don’t use it all.) Freeze crust for 10 minutes.

In the same bowl, whisk eggs and sugar till smooth. Gently whisk in cottage cheese and vanilla, then pour into frozen crust. Grate nutmeg directly over top of filling as evenly as possible. Bake for 60 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and golden and lightly set. Cool for an hour.

Cut into slices and serve with fresh blueberries. Serves 8 for dessert

St. Louis Post Dispatch
kitchenparade.com

Super Contributor

Re: St. Louis Pevely Dairy Cottage Cheese Pie

I remember Pevely Dairy from growing up in the St. Louis area.
Contributor

Had to comment....when I saw Pevely Dairy. It was a name from my childhood.

Super Contributor

I was raised in St. Louis County and remember buying Pevely and Sealtest dairy products as well. Those were the 'good old' days. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Cottage cheese is one of my top 5 favorite foods and I eat it every day. I will enjoy making this recipe.THANKS for sharing .
Trusted Contributor

I moved from Cahokia Il to Alton Il which is right across the River. This is something I would love to try since I love Cottage Cheese. Thank You Beebee2. My Dad and my Grandfather both retired from the Post Dispatch Newspaper.

Trusted Contributor

I moved from Cahokia Il to Alton Il which is right across the River. This is something I would love to try since I love Cottage Cheese. Thank You Beebee2. My Dad and my Grandfather both retired from the Post Dispatch Newspaper.

Super Contributor

On 12/5/2014 Katey1261 said:

I moved from Cahokia Il to Alton Il which is right across the River. This is something I would love to try since I love Cottage Cheese. Thank You Beebee2. My Dad and my Grandfather both retired from the Post Dispatch Newspaper. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Birkin, I'm a cottage cheese lover, too. So we're definitely kindred spirits on this subject. Smiley Happy

Katey, it's nice to hear from you. I grew up in St. Louis County and one of our school trips was to the St. Louis Post Dispatch for a tour - a long time ago. It was before things were digitized, and they set up the paper literally one letter at a time on a big wooden frame, using metal letters. That was exciting, but for a little kid going into that huge printing room with the gigantic rolls of newsprint paper and huge rolling noisy machines, it was some kind of major memorable event.

St. Louis had two major newspapers at the time, The St. Louis Post Dispatch and The Globe Democrat, and one tabloid, The Star.

Mom and Dad read both The Globe and The Post, and I remember a lot of lively conversation because of both of them. The "funnies" were the best part for us kids. But the Post also had a page in a cultural section that featured a front page with one large photo (the rotogravure?) of an art object or other cultural object. I remember it vividly because as an adult I traveled and got to see things for myself that I first learned about in the Post. These are all good memories.

So, if either your grandfather or father is still around, give them my thanks. And have fun with cottage cheese. Smiley Happy