Regular Contributor
/><br/> <br/> When zucchini and summer squash are busting out all over the garden and the refrigerator is threatening to go on strike if I don't do something with some of them soon, I have this recipe in my arsenal to give them a new home.<br/></span></div> <div><span style=The reviews on this recipe were glowing so I made SURE to copy it and file it for when zucchini season rolled around. Our garden (and zucchini) went bust last year, but this year it cooperated nicely, so I couldn't wait to give this a try.

What an over the top FANTASTIC recipe this is. These cakes have a wonderful flavor from the jalapeno and onion......oh, and let's not forget the cheese! I would describe the texture of these sort of like a potato pancake, but you get the added crunch from the onion, corn and some texture from the squash.

I made a couple of changes-I didn't add the oil to the cake mixture-somehow I didn't think it needed it. I also added some chopped fresh cilantro in keeping with the Southwest theme-about 1/4 cup-and split the onion duty between 1/8 c. chopped green onion and 1/8 c. red onion. I had fresh Romano cheese so I subbed that for the Parmesan and used a reduced fat Mexican blend in place of the sharp cheddar. After grating the squash (I used 2 c. grated zucchini and 2 c. grated summer squash), I put it in a mesh strainer and squeezed as much liquid as I could out of it. Since I didn't have fresh corn on hand, I used frozen corn-spread 1 cup of it on a paper towel-lined plate and let it defrost and drain-it worked great...I'm sure fresh corn will be even better.

To sauté, I used 1 Tbsp. canola oil and a small pat of butter.......and I used my big nonstick skillet. The paper-towel lined plate was at the ready-as soon as they came out of the pan, onto the plate they went, then I used another paper towel to pat any excess oil off the tops-there really wasn't much at all.

I put the cooked cakes on a large cookie sheet that I had sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray and into a 250 degree oven they went until Bob got home. They were in there a good 15-20 minutes and were just fine.

We topped them with store-bought hot salsa and a dollop of low fat sour cream.......and TOTALLY enjoyed them. I served them with pork tenderloin, but I would have been happy just having these with a salad along side. I'm including the homemade salsa recipe that went with these cakes-I haven't tried it yet-it sure does sound good.
This recipe makes a lot too. Leftovers were NO problem-I lined them up on a cookie sheet and into the oven they went until heated through.....they tasted just as good as the first night.

Bob pronounced this one a "winner" and I do too. I'll be grabbing a few zucchini at the grocery store this winter to make these too-yup, they're THAT good.

Carol

/><br/> <br/></span><span style=SPICY SQUASH CAKES
(Source: University of Illinois Extension, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL-recipe posted by Nancy_NJ on Taste of Home)

"This recipe works well with a combination of zucchini and pattypan or yellow squash. Temper the fieriness of the jalapenos by adjusting the amount or by removing the seeds and white membrane. Prepare small cakes for an appetizer or larger ones as a side dish or serve with crusty bread and tomato salsa for a full meal."

1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites OR use 3 eggs
4 c. grated summer squash (can use a combination of zucchini, summer squash and/or pattypan squash-I use 2 c. grated zucchini and 2 c. grated summer squash-drained. I also squeeze the grated squash to remove as much liquid as possible)
1 c. fresh corn kernels, cut from 2 ears (can substitute 1 c. frozen corn, thawed and drained on paper towels-that's what I used for the squash cakes in the photos)
1/8 c. chopped green onions, tops included
1/8 c. finely chopped red onion
1 large jalapeno pepper, membranes and seeds removed, finely chopped
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I use freshly grated Romano cheese)
1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese (I use reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro (my addition)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil (I did not use)
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper or black pepper (I use cayenne)
Canola oil for sautéing (I use 1 Tbsp. canola oil and a small pat of butter)
Low-fat sour cream, optional
Fresh tomato salsa, optional (I used store-bought salsa)

Beat eggs in a large bowl; beat in grated squash, corn, green onions, red onions, jalapeno, Parmesan, cheddar, cilantro, flour, olive oil (if using) and ground pepper.

Heat 2 Tbsp. canola oil in a heavy 10" skillet over medium-high heat.

For small cakes, spoon 1 Tbsp. squash mixture per cake into the hot oil; flatten to uniform thickness. For large cakes, use 2 Tbsp. squash mixture per cake; do not over crowd the skillet-leave about 1" between cakes.

Cook until edges turn golden brown; turn and cook the other side until golden brown, about 3 minutes total cooking time per cake.

Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Place on a cookie sheet in a warm oven; continue cooking the remaining cakes (I place the cooked cakes on a cookie sheet in a 275 degree oven-left them in there about 10 minutes after sautéing them).

To serve, arrange 2 or more cakes on individual plates. Serve with salsa and a dollop of low-fat sour cream. 6 servings.

For those who'd like a fresh tomato salsa recipe to go with these (I'll be making this when the tomatoes come)-here's one from the same website that they recommend serving with the squash cakes:

FRESH GARDEN SALSA
(Source: University of Illinois Extension)

"This coarse textured salsa is more of a relish or Pico de Gallo. The ingredients can be finely diced or use a medium for chunky salsa. Serve with traditional tortilla chips or use as a side dish with grilled meat, squash cakes (recipe above) or anywhere you want a bright, tart, savory accompaniment."

2 large ripe, red slicing tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1 green onion, top included, chopped
1-3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1/4 c. cilantro leaves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp. salt

Using a serrated knife, chop tomatoes. If using plum tomatoes, add 2 Tbsp. water.

In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro, tossing gently. Squeeze lime juice over mixture; sprinkle with salt.

Allow to rest 30 minutes before serving to allow salt to draw juice from the tomatoes. Stir again just before serving. Makes about 2 cups.

/></span></div> <div> </div>