Esteemed Contributor

Living in the Midwest, I have had subscriptions to a magazine called Midwest Living. I believe they also publish for other areas of the country. They are such good magazines and give ideas for places to visit and things to do and see that are not far from where we live. The magazine always publishes recipes from quaint restaurants, B&B's, and even families in each edition. Years ago, I found this recipe in the Oct. 1992 issue, of Midwest Living and have been making these cookies ever since. It is just a simple cookie, soft and cake like. They never seem to last long at my house as the girls just love them. I have fond memories of my oldest daughter, when she was a junior in high school and my youngest daughter when she was just 7, teaching an exchange student from Budapest that we were housing, how to make these cookies! The cookies didn't even exist by the time my DH came home from work at 5:30 p.m. that evening! My kids do not like nuts in too much of anything, so I always left them out of this recipe, and I always double the glaze recipe because....it's so good! The cookies are not spicy to my taste, but mildly flavored. If you have to store them, I would suggest to do so in the refrigerator as they are very moist.

1 cup of shortening (I use butter flavor crisco)

1 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin

1 egg

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Cookie Glaze (recipe follows)

Chopped nuts (optional)

1. In an extra large mixing bowl, beat together shortening and sugar with an electric mixer till fluffy. Add pumpkin and egg, beat till combined.

2. In another bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and baking soda. Beat into the pumpkin mixture till combined.

3. Spoon by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tops seem firm. Remove and cool on wire racks.

4. Prepare Cookie Glaze. Spread over the cookies. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts, if you like. Makes 42 to 48 cookies.

Cookie Glaze; In a medium size saucepan, combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar., 3 tablespoons butter, and 1 tablespoon milk. Heat over medium heat till butter melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. If frosting becomes too thick, stir in a few drops of hot water. Makes 3/4 cup.

I probably make my cookies a little (but not much) bigger than stated above-just watch while baking to be sure the tops of cookies are set or firm to touch-do not over bake. And, again, I always double the glaze recipe. Not a strikingly beautiful cookie, but sure does taste good with a glass of milk, cup of coffee, or hot tea.

<h2> </h2>