Trusted Contributor

Re: Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake.... so delicious!

Harpa,

Oh, I bet your kitchen smells wonderful! Mr. Harpa will be wanting a piece as soon as it is cool enough to cut!

I am anxious to hear how you both like it. I think sour cream would be a perfect substitute for plain yogurt, or especially Greek plain yogurt which has a bit of a tart flavor. I have used them interchangeably in recipes.

I buy yogurt that has only cream and/or milk and yogurt cultures. My favorite is Fage Greek Plain Yogurt, either 2% or 0%.

Did you reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup like you were considering?

Thanks for the reply, Harpa. Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

oceantown, neither of us waited until it cooled! Smiley Happy But he grabbed the first piece. Wonderful! I gave some to my DM, she thought it was great, and my very-persnickety-in-food DD, and she loved it! (There's one morsel left this a.m.)

Yes, I hardly measure sugar, but did reduce by around a half cup.

This was so easy to throw together. I also baked mine in a Bundt.

Thanks ever so for the receipt!! Got this one memorized already!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recipe! I used my home made yogurt, which wasn't very thick, and added some more cinnamon and more nutmeg to the mix. I made a glaze/icing of brown sugar, butter, salt, vanilla, bourbon and powdered sugar.

Trusted Contributor

Harpa, thanks so much for the post! You are very welcome. I am so happy to hear that you and your family loved it!

Trusted Contributor

Sooner, you are so welcome! Thanks so much for your reply! I liked hearing your details, your changes, and wow, your glaze. You must like cinnamon & nutmeg as much as I do. Yum.

Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 oceantown said:

Sooner, you are so welcome! Thanks so much for your reply! I liked hearing your details, your changes, and wow, your glaze. You must like cinnamon & nutmeg as much as I do. Yum.

Yep! I do! LOL!! I tasted the raw batter (raw eggs and all!) and thought I could use a little more spice! Maybe mine aren't as flavorful as some other ones.

Regular Contributor

I made this spiced yogurt cake yesterday -- it is delicious. I used Fage no-fat Greek yogurt and King Arthur flour. I made it in the traditional way -- creamed butter & sugar, add eggs 1 at a time, then flour (with spices and baking soda mixed in) alternately with yogurt. It's very good!

I don't see why you couldn't make this base recipe, omit the spices, just use vanilla or lemon.

Trusted Contributor

CountryMusicGal,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am so glad you thought it was delicious!

Glad to hear it turned out well with the Fage no-fat yogurt.

I also think it would make a great vanilla or lemon cake by omitting the spices and adding lemon extract or more vanilla extract for a vanilla version. I think adding some lemon zest to the lemon version would be a great idea too.

Edited to add:

Thanks for giving the details on how you mixed it all together.

Trusted Contributor

I made this in a bundt pan-- delicious!

Like an earlier poster, I mixed as I would for a normal cake. I was using King Arthur Flour which has more protein, so I was concerned that the original directions would result in gluten formation. If I had been using White Lily or a bleached flour, I would have followed the original directions.

Also, buttermilk or kefir could easily be substituted for the yogurt.

Trusted Contributor

KYToby, Thanks so much for your reply! I am so happy that you liked this cake. Also, thanks for posting your tips.