Trusted Contributor

Re: Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake.... so delicious!

Tesspoodle,

Thanks for your reply. I like bundt pans and love how pretty the cake looks. I will be using my Nordic Ware bundt called the Elegant Party Bundt. It seems to be discontinued now.

Mmmmm, you have a cake in the oven!

So glad you enjoy this recipe, and you are so welcome!

Frequent Contributor

Oceantown, thank you for the tips about leaving out spices and adding vanilla. I actually decided to make another yogurt pound cake from allrecipes. I made 1/3 of the recipe in 2 mini-loaf pans. It turned out quite nice with a nice cookie like top crust. Here is the recipe with some modifications: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Yogurt-Cake/

Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter, softened

2/3 cup white sugar

1 eggs

1/4 teaspoon lemon extract

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

3/8 (8 ounce) container lemon flavored yogurt

Directions:

You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (4). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (12)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the lemon extract. Alternately beat in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.

3. Pour batter into a 10 inch Bundt pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

My changes:

Instead of lemon extract, I used lemon oil

Instead of lemon yogurt, I used 3 oz sour cream and 1/4 tsp lemon oil.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, iQue,

Thanks for sharing the Yogurt Cake recipe! It looks yummy and I love lemon. I would use butter in place of the margarine.

I really like mini-loaf pans. I recently made zucchini bread and it made 4 mini-loaves. The mini-loaves bake for a shorter period of time which I like.

I was looking through my recipes and I found another similar recipe I made years ago. It was a recipe that came with my Nordic Ware "Sweet Rides Classic Car" Pan. That is such a cute pan. It makes 8 different little car shaped cakes.

Anyway, that recipe is very similar, calls for sour cream but Greek plain yogurt can be substituted. It did not have the spices, and it had 1 Tablespoon vanilla. It had an extra egg too.

Thanks again for posting for all of us lemon lovers!

Frequent Contributor

Oceantown, you are very welcome. I actually used butter. Was trying to edit the post but was a little slow. Yes I love mini pans as well. Anytime I can make smaller versions works great for me. I actually baked this one at 350 for 30 minutes...might want to check at 20 or 25 minutes. It still turned out nice. You can also adjust the lemon to your liking. It was more of a hint of lemon to me. You can also try adding a lemon/sugar syrup to soak into the cake and a lemon /sugar glaze.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/24/2014 iQue said:

Oceantown, you are very welcome. I actually used butter. Was trying to edit the post but was a little slow. Yes I love mini pans as well. Anytime I can make smaller versions works great for me. I actually baked this one at 350 for 30 minutes...might want to check at 20 or 25 minutes. It still turned out nice. You can also adjust the lemon to your liking. It was more of a hint of lemon to me. You can also try adding a lemon/sugar syrup to soak into the cake and a lemon /sugar glaze.

Oh, yes, butter makes it delicious! I think yogurt really adds a special touch too. For your Lemon Yogurt Cake, someone could also add a little fresh lemon zest. Your idea of lemon/sugar syrup & lemon/sugar glaze would be yummy. Thanks for giving the baking details.

I agree, smaller versions are nice.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I love using yogurt in cakes. From my experience, using Greek yogurt as compared to the regular kind makes little difference. Both will result in a delicious cake. I think I'll make this one this weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Fromthebronx,

You are sure welcome and thanks so much for your reply! Hope you love it.

Respected Contributor

Oceantown ... I just made this and had a tiny piece. It is a delicious, soft, and reminds me of a spiced donut. Mmmmm so good. I reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup as suggested and the results are excellent. I cooked it in a bundt pan for 55 mins. I read the reviews on all recipes.com, and I had no problem with the "gluten formation" by following the instructions for mixing exactly as directed. This makes the whole cake a snap. I so appreciate you posting this recipe. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Skuggles,

Thanks so much for your post! I am so glad to hear it turned out well when you reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup, and letting us know how long the bundt took to bake in your oven.

I bet your cake was beautiful too. The bundt makes it look special.

I really want to make this cake. I have two mini apple pies in the oven now though, a request from Mr. oceantown, lol. He was not at our daughter's house when I got to enjoy the Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake, so I want to make it soon. I know he will love it.

Thanks again, Skuggles.

Esteemed Contributor

oceantown, I just took my cake out of the oven! I can't wait to try it; the batter was so good!

I did have a teeny problem, though, in getting yogurt for this cake. When I went shopping the other day, the containers were so huge, and I knew I would never use the remainder. Then, I tried to seek out a little container (I would have gotten 2 or 3 to make up a cup), but then I remembered what my DD "warned" me about yogurt, and I had no idea of the ingredient list I was reading.

So, I opted for sour cream this time.

My DH is more anxious than me! You know a man around the house and good smells coming from the kitchen! Smiley Happy