Trusted Contributor

Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake.... so delicious!

My daughter made this cake and it was one of the most delicious cakes I have tasted! The notes are from her. She used a beautiful Nordic Ware Bavaria Bundt Pan which has a 10 cup capacity. It was a beautiful cake and she did not glaze or even sprinkle with powdered sugar. As she mentioned in the notes, she used part sugar and part sugar free sweetener.

Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake

Notes: I baked this in my bundt pan for about an hour. Smiley Happy Also I replaced some of the sugar with baking sugar-free substitute.

2 cups white sugar

1 cup butter, softened

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup plain yogurt

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan (or bundt pan).

In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the flour, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ground cloves, salt and baking soda. Mix until combined then beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Bundt pan for about 1 hour.)

Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, remove from pan and continue to cool.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake.... so delicious!

Sounds excellent! Right up my alley - no icing or glaze! TY for posting, oceantown! The only thing I would adjust is the amount of sugar, and not use any substitute at all. Just minus 1/2 cup.

Super Contributor

I will make this tomorrow...! Sounds great.

Super Contributor

thanks for sharing..

Honored Contributor

This does sound delicious! I love the spices in it. Thanks for posting for us.

Do you think I could use Greek Yogurt? That is what I currently have at home...but it is a different consistency, isn't it? Thicker?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this! TIA!

Trusted Contributor

RespectLife,

Thanks for your reply!

I just found out from daughter that she used plain yogurt. I had planned to use Greek Plain when I make this. She said that I could thin the Greek Yogurt a little with some milk or cream, but I really don't know if it would be necessary. To be safe though, it would not hurt to thin the Greek yogurt a little bit, maybe a teaspoon of milk and stir to check consistency.

Harpa, LDOlvr, & Meeras,

Thanks for your replies!

I hope you all post back if you make this to give your review.

It was so good, I wanted another piece but I resisted, hahah.

Harpa,

I am very interested to see how you like it with 1/2 cup less sugar. I have read that in many recipes you can reduce the sugar and works fine. I think it should be ok in this recipe.

Honored Contributor

Thanks oceantown for your reply. I was thinking the same thing...to thin it a bit.

If I make this b4 I shop...I will do so. If I shop first...I'll just buy plain.

Like others...I enjoy making the recipe the first time as written, other than reducing the sugar too.

Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor

Sounds delicious and easy. Thank you for posting. I plan to bake it this weekend.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

this sounds heavenly. wound be good for a Thanksgiving brunch I am thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/19/2014 oceantown said:

RespectLife,

Thanks for your reply!

I just found out from daughter that she used plain yogurt. I had planned to use Greek Plain when I make this. She said that I could thin the Greek Yogurt a little with some milk or cream, but I really don't know if it would be necessary. To be safe though, it would not hurt to thin the Greek yogurt a little bit, maybe a teaspoon of milk and stir to check consistency.

Harpa, LDOlvr, & Meeras,

Thanks for your replies!

I hope you all post back if you make this to give your review.

It was so good, I wanted another piece but I resisted, hahah.

Harpa,

I am very interested to see how you like it with 1/2 cup less sugar. I have read that in many recipes you can reduce the sugar and works fine. I think it should be ok in this recipe.

I'm sure I will like it more w/o the 1/2 cup, which is what I do in all my cake recipes. Perfect for me, and too sweet otherwise.

We have yogurt on hand, but it is flavored. I've used flavored yogurt in muffins already with great results, but in this case, the plain, or a vanilla, I think, would be best.

Can't wait to make it! Thanks again!