Respected Contributor

Speaking of cream cheese....

Does anyone know of a substitute for it?    I'm one of those people who can't stand it and yes I can taste in most anything so I just avoid it.

So many dessert recipes call for it and I skip them.   If there is a substitute I'd love to know what it is.

I've googled it and most things suggested are cottage cheese pureed and tofu.  I don't like either of those either.

Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of cream cheese....

Neufchâtel cheese can be used as a substitute for cream cheese. You can also use silken tofu in some recipes. Years ago, I made an outrageous “cheese cake.” I substituted silken tofu for the cream cheese. It was so delicious.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There is a Greek company that makes very thick Greek yogurt.  It has a similar consistency to softened cream cheese with a tangy flavor.  The last I mentioned it, mods erased the company's name, so maybe I can tell you it starts with an F.  

You might not like it if you don't like cream cheese, cottage cheese, and other milk products. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal - I'm also not a big fan of cream cheese, though I've learned to tolerate (and sometimes even like) it in some recipes as long as its tanginess isn't the star. In some recipes, you can substitute a half-and-half mixture of pureed ricotta plus plain yogurt for the cream cheese; the yogurt still has a touch of tang, but as long as I'm not eating it on its own, I've found that it isn't too strong. This substitution works especially well in dips and other recipes that require structure but not stiffness, if that makes sense.

Are there any particular recipes you're looking to test with a cream cheese swap? Sharing that detail might help us give better suggestions or alternatives for you.

(P.S. Don't try Neufchatel as a substitute if you don't like cream cheese; the central difference between the two is that the former uses only milk and the latter uses both milk and cream for processing. They taste essentially identical.)

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal  I have been baking for years and don't understand why you would want to make a cream cheese recipe if you want to leave it out? Cream cheese is in recipes for a reason and to substitute something else would just not be the same.  

Respected Contributor

@Pook 

I just see a picture of something that looks good and start reading about it and then the recipe.   All is going well and I'm thinking "I'll make this" and then the dreaded cream cheese shows up in the ingredients.

I figure if I can substitute something else , it might still taste good.   

I'm not looking for cream cheese recipes. 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee 

Thanks.  That's a great idea.  I love Greek yogurt.   And I know that brand well.  I buy a lot of it.   I assume the amount would stay the same.   1/4 cup yogurt for 1/4 cup   CC.

Worth a try for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@BridgegalI love ricotta cheesecake, but that is different than a regular one.  You might want to check out some recipes to see if any sound good to you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal - Since it appears that you like Greek yogurt, I'm curious what you don't like about cream cheese? (The tang is what I'm not fond of, so I avoid most yogurt and absolutely cannot stand Greek yogurt.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

There is a Greek company that makes very thick Greek yogurt.  It has a similar consistency to softened cream cheese with a tangy flavor.  The last I mentioned it, mods erased the company's name, so maybe I can tell you it starts with an F.  

You might not like it if you don't like cream cheese, cottage cheese, and other milk products. 

Testing:  Was it ******e?

ETA:  Yep.  Deleted.  😄