Respected Contributor

What is the purpose of broiling in a gas range?   There is one long burner/broiler strip and that is it.   Wouldn't it just cook what is under that strip and not the rest?   As you can tell, I've never broiled in a gas oven because I don't know how to and how it works.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Speaking of Broiling....

The purpose is the same.  Bring your shelf up to the highest, or use a broiler pan, and there really is no difference.  I made some toasted garlic bread last night and burned the first batch, so just keep an eye on it. 

Trusted Contributor

I love to use my broiler all winter when I can't use my grill outside.  I don't mind grilling in the winter cold but when it is windy the wind keeps blowing my flame out.  It is great for Texas toast, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal, That big box of hot air (your oven) bakes and roasts using conduction heat.

The broiler cooks using open flame direct heat from above the food, which is placed on a broiler pan or rack to keep it from frying in its own fats. (Its also for safety, as food is close to an open flame and fats can become hot enough to ignite)

Most fish and tender cuts of meat can be broiled. (Think STEAK!)

My mother would slide a meringue topped pie under a broiler flame for just moments, to brown the peaks.

Now they use a torch.

Basically, a cooking hearth or campfire is similar to a broiler, but uses open flame direct heat from below the food, which is again, on a rack or grate so fats drip away.

Generally, food on a barbecue grill is cooked over heated briquettes or hot wood embers, NOT open flame, and enclosed with a lid which makes the cookspace more conduction/oven-like.

Honored Contributor

It was the only convenient way of grilling before people had charcoal grills available to them either because they couldn't use one or the cost was too high.

Years later we got gas grills.

Respected Contributor

So, basically that one long strip of heat, heats the whole oven and evenly cooks the meat/fish/bread.    I'll give it a try.  

Thanks all and Happy New Year.