Honored Contributor

Spanish Rice substitutions in recipe

My son hates tomatoes so I only buy tomato puree or sauce.

I was thinking about making Spanish Rice for dinner because he won't be home. So we can eat tomato in any form. But the only chunky tomatoes I have is in salsa.

Think if instead of adding diced tomatoes that I added salsa that it would work?

I won't add green pepper, chili powder and onions. Boy that is alot of the ingredients. So I will end up with hamburger, tomato sauce, salsa and rice. Sounds really easy. Is it too easy to be true?

Honored Contributor

Re: Spanish Rice substitutions in recipe

[ Edited ]

This is how I make Spanish rice:

3 tbsp butter

1 cup white rice

1 tsp garlic salt

1/4 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 tsp taco seasoning

Saute onion in butter in saucepan.  Stir in rice until puffy and golden.  Stir in garlic salt and taco seasoning.  

Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter Thanks sounds like a better solution.

Honored Contributor

I always have a can of stewed tomatoes in the house for adding to soups etc.  You could use that, even if you drained it first.  Depends on how much liquid you need, but OTOH the liquid absorbed into the rice would be tasty, too. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla - I think the salsa would work, but I would the other ingredients you usually use. I never make mine with meat, and I too always use canned tomatoes. 

I make mine in my rice cooker. I sauté the onions and pepper first in oil, then add the other ingredients. The oil gives it the perfect touch.

DH has said for years it always tastes better on the second day!   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks @beach-mom  and @Tinkrbl44  

I am not going to use the salsa.

I can't believe my timing. I accidentally bought cans of diced tomatoes. I saw  tomato sauce and just grabbed. Not noticing that there were diced tomatoes in the mix at the grocery.

I had just donated the diced tomatoes earlier this week to a food bank. I figured I wouldn't be using them.

Thanks for your input. 

Regular Contributor

When I make Mexican Rice this is what I use .

1 cup white rice

2 tablespoons corn oil 

1/teaspoon salted garlic powder 

1/2 teaspoon Knoor Dry tomato seasoning 

1 can of chicken broth

heat your pan ,add oil saute the rice until lightly brown add garlic powder and Knoor tomato seasoning

add the broth to Pyrex cup to make two cups then add to rice .

let the mixture boil , then reduce to simmer.

cover with lid partially closed letting steam escape 

you may need more water , just check that rice does not burn 

I have used salsa and it does work . I make my salsa to add to different dishes . I also added frozen green peas 1/4 cup, adds color and is flavorable 

hope this works for you

Trusted Contributor

@shelbyshelbyshelby 

I like the idea of adding in green peas.  I have a mix of leftover frozen peas, asparagus and chopped spinach that I combined in a freezer bag that I thimk I will throw in with this recipe when I make it.  Would this (1/teaspoon salted garlic powder) be 1/2 teaspoon? 

Thanks for sharing your recipe! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Easiest way for me to make Spanish Rice is a box of Zatarain's Yellow Rice mix.

You can  add your own  extra chopped onion, extra chopped red and/or green pepper, but some are already included in the mix. Plus, I always simmer the rice in chicken broth or stock and throw in some frozen peas toward end of cooking.

Box label says yellow rice (Arroz Amarillo in Spanish) is a culinary staple in nearly every Latin American culture.  Can be mixed with chicken, pork, cooked sausage and  just about anything else, which turns it into  a main dish, too.

Label also suggests that  adding a can of black beans will

create a Caribbean flair.

Zatarain's also makes  Spanish Rice  and Caribbean  boxed versions, pictured below.

One box makes enough to serve two people as a side dish for three different meals at our house.  We love it.

Zatarain's Yellow Rice, 6.9 Oz

Zatarain's, New Orleans Style, Caribbean Rice Mix, 6Oz Box (Pack Of 6)

Zatarain's Spanish Rice, 6.9 oz

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My solution. 90 seconds in the microwave. Yea, it's a shortcut but so be it. There are lots of things around which I prefer not to cut corners. Rice is not one of them. Woman Wink

Spanish Style Rice

In my pantry with my cupcakes...