Respected Contributor

Thanks for the memory - my parents used to buy this cake from the A&P in our town.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Spanish Bar Cake

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

This was my late Mother's favotite cake, I haven't thought of it in years. Yes, the A&P sold it and it was very nice. She always bought the A&P version but she also made her own which wasn't quite the same, not as dense, sweet or moist, but still good.

I haven't seen it anywhere but if I do I'll let you know.

OMG @candyagain: This cake was one of my mother's favorites also! I remember the A&P stores, too. Oh...the memories.  Smiley Happy

The A&P stores were the best! My grandparents lived around the corner from one and took me there a lot as a child. I'll bet that Spanish Bar cake was a featured item!

Honored Contributor

Made this today!  Just as I remembered.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of it. Is icing sugar the same as powdered sugar?

Respected Contributor

My Dad worked in the A&P warehouse for over 25yrs. Mom would buy the cake a lot. I love that cake. Dad retired but who bought them out?  Dad is gone and know A&P is no longer around. I remember my Mom would shop at Acme once in awhile & my Dad would get upset saying you are buying from our competition LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Spanish Bar Cake

[ Edited ]

I got a copy of the label. Didn't see applesauce, apples or sour cream that I've seen in some recipes. Imtep, your recipe seems to be what I'm looking for. Looks yummy. 

Trusted Contributor

Re:Tried and true Spanish Bar recipe

This Spanish Bar cake  was made at our 'coffee hour' at church years ago. The baker was kind enough to give me the recipe.  The recipe was printed  in our local newspaper on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 . I've made it before - it's worth making again.

Spanish Bar Cake

4 cups water

2 cups raisins

1 cup vegetable shortening

4 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 -8 oz package cream cheese, softened

4 tablespoons butter, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 and 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons of milk (more or less)

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Place raisins and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10 minutes, until raisins plump.  Stir in the shortening.  Remove from heat and let mixture cool. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and salt.  Add flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture and blend well.  Stir in the beaten eggs.  Add the chopped nuts if desired.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until cake tests done.  Makes one 9 x 13 inch cake  . To make into bar cakes: Let cool, then slice into 4 bars and top with cream cheese frosting.

For the Frosting:

Cream together the cream cheese and butter, Beat in the vanilla, then the confectioners' sugar.  Add milk slowly to reach desired consistency.  Add lemon juice.

(I made this cake in January 2015 and made a note, saying ''This is great but I needed ''2''  9 x 13 pans.  Also I made the note ''do not add the milk at all to the frosting''' (so be careful when you come to that part of the ingredients..you be the judge of how much you need, if at all)

Respected Contributor

Re: Re:Tried and true Spanish Bar recipe

Looks yummy. I would make half the recipe. Only 2 of us. Thanks for posting. I took a screen shot of your recipe. 😋😋😋

Valued Contributor

Re: Re:Tried and true Spanish Bar recipe

I loved this cake and we would eat it all the time.  I bet it cost a dollar or so back in the day.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Never heard of it. Is icing sugar the same as powdered sugar?

@AuntG yes it is. When I was in Canada we called it icing sugar. I came down here and made cookies that called for icing sugar. Everyone asked me for the recipe but then didn't know what icing sugar was. That's when I found out it's called powdered sugar down here.