Respected Contributor

A & P use to sell this cake. Now it is available online, Jane Paige or Jane Parker? . Some bread outlets sell it. I need a picture of the ingredient label. Thanks for helping me out. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Ann Page was the store brand for A&P. Not familiar with a Spanish bar cake though.

Trusted Contributor

This was my late Mother's favotite cake, I haven't thought of it in years. Yes, the A&P sold it and it was very nice. She always bought the A&P version but she also made her own which wasn't quite the same, not as dense, sweet or moist, but still good.

I haven't seen it anywhere but if I do I'll let you know.

Honored Contributor

That is a blast from the past, I haven't see one of them since I was a kid.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Here is a Website that says she has duplicated it!

Spanish Bar Cake 

Now, let me be crystal clear; I make NO claims that my recipe is “just like the famous A & P Spanish Bar Cake”. As mentioned earlier, it is unlikely that cake can ever be duplicated at home because of the way the bakeries created them for A & P. BUT this is very reminiscent in my mind of the famous version and I experimented with it multiple times while developing my recipe. It is close enough to make me and my family happy. As always, your mileage may vary as we all remember things differently.

Reminiscent of the beloved and famous Jane Parker (A & P) Spanish Bar Cake, these loaves are studded with chopped raisins and filled with fragrant spices.

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup vegetable shortening

• 1/2 cup applesauce

• 1/2 cup dark brown sugar

• 1 egg, room temperature

• 3/4 cup baking molasses

• 1 cup boiling water

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and swipe method – stir flour with a spoon, lightly add to measuring cup, then level with straight edge)

• 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

• 2 teaspoon cinnamon

• 1 teaspoon nutmeg

• 1 teaspoon allspice

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

• 1/2 cup dark raisins (chop roughly after plumping and draining)

• Frosting
  • 1/4 cup softened butter

• 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening

• approximately 3 cups powdered sugar

• 3 tablespoons milk or cream

• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

DIRECTIONS

• Boil the 1 cup water and add the raisins; remove from heat and set aside. Let plump until water is lukewarm. Drain, reserve water, roughly chop raisins. Set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line two 9 x 5 loaf pans with parchment.
  • Cream together shortening and sugar, then beat in egg.
  • Blend in molasses, applesauce, vanilla and raisin water.
  • Sift together remaining dry ingredients and stir into batter until well blended. Stir in raisins.
  • Bake in loaf pans about 38 to 40 minutes or until tested done. Do not over-bake!
  • Cool 15 minutes on rack in pans. Remove cakes from pans. Cool on wire rack completely. Remove parchment.
  • Cut loaves in half lengthwise and frost as a two-layer cake, if desired. Otherwise, just frost the top of each layer.
  •  
  • Frosting
  • Place butter and shortening in a bowl; mix with mixer until light and fluffy.
  • Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until blended.
  • Add the remaining powdered sugar then enough milk or cream to beat to a smooth, spreadable frosting. Use to frost loaves.

Respected Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

This was my late Mother's favotite cake, I haven't thought of it in years. Yes, the A&P sold it and it was very nice. She always bought the A&P version but she also made her own which wasn't quite the same, not as dense, sweet or moist, but still good.

I haven't seen it anywhere but if I do I'll let you know.

OMG @candyagain: This cake was one of my mother's favorites also! I remember the A&P stores, too. Oh...the memories.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Barbarainnc   I had forgotten about that cake, it was so good! 

Trusted Contributor

@Barbarainnc....... Hi my friend. Out of curyousity I went on the website JaneParker dot com...  And I see you can buy the cake, but for a whopping $34.97  WOW!!!   I also saw there is a "contact" button on the bottom of the page. Maybe if you try that, you might be able to ask them for the ingredients of the cake. Maybe it's worth a shot? At any rate I hope you are doing well. Always nice to see you.

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc wrote:

A & P use to sell this cake. Now it is available online, Jane Paige or Jane Parker? . Some bread outlets sell it. I need a picture of the ingredient label. Thanks for helping me out. 

I remember that cake.  Spicy and chock full of raisins -- like a heavier carrot cake without the carrots.  The frosting was TO DIE FOR.

I googled it and found this.  I'm going to try it!!!

YIELD: 12 OR MORE SERVINGS Spanish Bar Cake
Spanish Bar Cake on a slate serving plate with coffee in the background.

Spanish Bar Cake. A real old fashioned treat! A supermarket favourite from years ago, this simple raisin spice cake is easy to make, moist and utterly delicious.

PREP TIME20 minutes
COOK TIME35 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME2 hours
TOTAL TIME2 hours 55 minutes

Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cups raisins
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, or butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, (optional)
For the Frosting
  • 2 1/4 cups icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, more if needed

Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
  2. Add the water and raisins to a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the shortening to the boiled mixture. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
  4. Sift together the sugar, soda, flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
  5. Add the sifted ingredients to the cooled raisin mixture, along with the beaten egg and the nuts, if you are adding them.
  6. Fold gently until the flour is just incorporated into the batter. Do not over mix.
  7. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan and Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  8. Cool completely and ice with frosting if you like
To prepare the frosting
  1. Beat together the icing sugar, butter, vanilla and a tablespoon of milk until smooth.
  2. If necessary, add more milk until the frosting is a good spreadable consistency.
  3. Cut the cake in half, frost the first layer then top with the second layer and frost again. To get the characteristic lines on top, run the back of a fork over the top frosting in straight lines.
  4. This recipe also makes about a dozen cupcakes if you prefer.

Respected Contributor

Re: Spanish Bar Cake

[ Edited ]

I sent a request for the ingredients list label. Will see if they send it. Thanks for all the replys to my post. 🙂🙂🙂