Respected Contributor

Southwest-style one-pan breakfast

This is a recipe from the Kraft food company, so of course many Kraft-branded ingredients were listed, but I've only listed them generically.  

SOUTHWEST-STYLE CHEESY BREAKFAST SKILLET

4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup each chopped onions and red peppers

4 cups (about 1/3 of 30-oz. package) shredded hash brown                 potatoes

1/2 small fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced

4 eggs

1 cup Mexican-style finely shredded four-cheese mixture

1/4 cup "thick and chunky" salsa.

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Cook and stir bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat until crisp.  Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

To drippings in skillet, cook onions and red pepper 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.

Stir in potatoes and jalapeno peppers; cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are evenly browned; stirring occasionally.

Make 4 small wells in potato mixture with back of spoon; slip 1 cracked egg into each well.  Top with bacon and cheese; cook 3-4 minutes or until egg whites are cooked to desired doneness.

Remove skillet from heat.  Let stand, covered, 1 minute.

Top with salsa and cilantro.

Honored Contributor

Re: Southwest-style one-pan breakfast

[ Edited ]

Love this recipe minus the bacon, cheese, and eggs.  I make this in the panini and stuff it with mushrooms and veggies then fold it over like an omlette.....very tasty.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1Sounds delicious.  There was a time in my life (before cholesteral issues) when I would gladly have made this for supper -  add a crispy side salad and a picher of sun tea.   My idea of good eating!

Honored Contributor

Sounds easy enough.  I'll have a slice.