Frequent Contributor
Just made these and are my families favorite! Never met anyone who didn't love these. Very easy and just gives a pork chop a whole different flavor! Fattening? Yes! But, delicious and sooo worth it! Smiley Happy Just coat how ever many you want to make in southern self-rising corn meal ( not the yellow jiffy mix) salt and pepper to taste and fry in corn or vegtable oil! Like I said easy right? And out of this world good! Would love anyone that tries it to post back what they think! Enjoy!
Contributor

Re: Southern fried pork chops

I know this recipe was posted some time ago.  I just got around to

fixing it.

I am here to tell you these chops are some kinda good.  And so

easy to fix. 

Will surely put them on my favorite list of recipes.

My DH gave them a 10.

Thanks for sharing your recipe

Schultzi

Honored Contributor

@End of October wrote:
Just made these and are my families favorite! Never met anyone who didn't love these. Very easy and just gives a pork chop a whole different flavor! Fattening? Yes! But, delicious and sooo worth it! Smiley Happy Just coat how ever many you want to make in southern self-rising corn meal ( not the yellow jiffy mix) salt and pepper to taste and fry in corn or vegtable oil! Like I said easy right? And out of this world good! Would love anyone that tries it to post back what they think! Enjoy!

Ok, I'm all in on this but I have to ask a couple of questions.  What is self rising corn meal?  I have the Jiffy mix and also corn meal that you make grits from but I don't think I've ever seen self rising.  Do you find this with the regular corn meal products?  And I am assuming that this is a wet batter?  Sorry for all the questions but this is totally out of my league . . . thank you so much in advance for my assistance you can lend!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@End of October wrote:

Ok, I'm all in on this but I have to ask a couple of questions.  What is self rising corn meal?  I have the Jiffy mix and also corn meal that you make grits from but I don't think I've ever seen self rising.  Do you find this with the regular corn meal products?  And I am assuming that this is a wet batter?  Sorry for all the questions but this is totally out of my league . . . thank you so much in advance for my assistance you can lend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I have never been able to find self rising corn meal either, please tell me where you have found it, Thanx

Respected Contributor

I'm assuming it's this....I use it to make my cornbread, but have never coated pork chops with it. I'm intrigued. There's also a yellow cornmeal version, but I would think you would used the white.There are other brands out there...Martha White, Shawnee Mills, etc.   

Respected Contributor

You don't bake them, at all? Just in a skillet? How long do you cook them?

Esteemed Contributor

I have never fried pork chops using self rising corn meal but her is the way I do it with plain flour.

Simple, Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 7 pieces Or 8 Pieces Breakfast Chops (very Thin Bone-in Pork Chops)
  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • Cayenne Pepper To Taste
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • Extra Salt And Pepper, To Taste

Instructions

Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.

Combine all dry ingredients. Dredge each side of the pork chops in the flour mixture, then set aside on a plate.

Heat canola oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter is melted and butter/oil mixture is hot, cook 3 pork chops at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side; 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. (Make sure no pink juices remain.)

Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining porch chops.

Delicious and simple! Serve with smashed new potatoes.

I use the fat (or a portion of) and some of the seasoned flour to make white gravy to serve with them.

I think you would fry the chops using cornmeal the same way.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for this Zhills, I was totally thrown off with the self rising corn meal . . . I am going to give these a whirl!

Valued Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I have never fried pork chops using self rising corn meal but her is the way I do it with plain flour.

Simple, Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 7 pieces Or 8 Pieces Breakfast Chops (very Thin Bone-in Pork Chops)
  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • Cayenne Pepper To Taste
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • Extra Salt And Pepper, To Taste

Instructions

Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.

Combine all dry ingredients. Dredge each side of the pork chops in the flour mixture, then set aside on a plate.

Heat canola oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter is melted and butter/oil mixture is hot, cook 3 pork chops at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side; 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. (Make sure no pink juices remain.)

Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining porch chops.

Delicious and simple! Serve with smashed new potatoes.

I use the fat (or a portion of) and some of the seasoned flour to make white gravy to serve with them.

I think you would fry the chops using cornmeal the same way.  Enjoy!

LIKE Zhills said....but never used Cayenne pepper...will next time